Author Topic: Free Music/Pitt./2012!  (Read 1960 times)

Offline toddnkaya

• Double Secret Probation!
Free Music/Pitt./2012!
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:04:28 PM »
Although many big name acts and middle of the road bands often pass up Pittsburgh for concerts in Philadelphia and Cleveland, We do get some great bands for FREE all summer long at our fine festivals. Three Rivers Arts Festival,Hartwood Acres and South Park series. Here is a sampling of some of the highlights for me and my wife.
Three Rivers Arts Festival: The Wailers, Pitt. Symphony Orchestra, Peter Rowan,Kathleen Edwards, Greensky Bluegrass Band, Del McCoury Band,Dawes,Carolina Chocolate Drops,Bruce Hornsby and the Noise Makers
and from
Hartwood Acres series: Joan Osborn, PSO, James Vincent McMorrow !!, Toad and The Wet Sprocket, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Ballet
South Park: Opera, Delta Spirit, Lucinda Williams ! (July 27th)  Trombone Shorty, Mike Doughty
 Please feel free to chime in with bands you have seen or would love to see at this years line up, or just dig .
I really like this years performers. If you have not heard James Vincent McMorrow, you should take a listen. He is a talented singer song writer. This will be my third time seeing Lucinda live for free. Always a great show!
Enjoy the Music,
Todd

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Free Music/Pitt./2012!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
I am stoked about this year's line up.   It's like I chose the acts myself.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »
I posted this on my Facebook, but it applies to folks here too...

There are so many great free shows this summer. I don't think I can get to them all and I'm certain that I won't be able to get the whole family out to them all.

Your assignment, Facebook friends, is to look at the list below and tell me which show(s) you would like to join me at.

Fri June 1 - The Wailers (maybe David Tharp will want to make this a BT activity)
Sat June 2 - Kathleen Edwards* - I'm really serious about this one, she is one of my very favorite current performers (Bony who?)
Sun June 3 - Joan Osborne* - I saw her before "One of Us" was even released and she put on a killer show. This is another must see.
Tues June 5 - Dawes* - I have their last album on vinyl
Fri June 8 - Carolina Chocolate Drops (don't ask, just Google)
Sat June 9 - Bluegrass day w/ Del McCoury Band
Sun June 10 - Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers
Sun June 24 - Meshell N’Degeocello
Fri July 27 - Lucinda Williams* - "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" is probably the finest album of the last 20 years. I've seen her three times.
Sun July 29 - Toad the Wet Sprocket - because Hootie and the Blowfish split up
Sun Aug 12 - Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings - soul music isn't just for the 1960s

* indicates show that I will absolutely be at unless something very drastic happens

All 100% free!!! Please join me.

Offline toddnkaya

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »
Markshan, Have you ever listened to  James Vincent McMorrow ? I really think he is a great singer song writer. I am going to see Lucinda for sure. Maybe Peter Rowan. The wife will really want to see Mike Doughty. I will try to catch Opera, Ballet or Symphony or maybe all three. I too like Kathleen Edwards. I think Bruce Hornby should be a great show.
I think the sound at South Park , is some of the best outdoor sound I have ever heard. I really enjoed seeing Martin Sexton last year at South Park. If you have never seen him , you really should,such a great performer! Martin's double live album, Live Wide Open is awesome , with truly amazing sonics.
This really is a great line up this year. ;D  Most of the past few seasons I have been let down with the lineups. This year is so strong you almost can't go wrong with any of the shows.
Todd

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:29:33 PM »
I've heard the name, but I don't know much about him.