Author Topic: Advice for Newbies - Turntables  (Read 3018 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Advice for Newbies - Turntables
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
Just a quick note:

You may have just entered the hobby.  You did not know it before,  but just discovered that vinyl sounds pretty good and is fun to collect. 

Allow me to 'gift' you some experience.  You may be tempted to look at expensive entry level tables like the Rega RP-1 in AudioAdvisor.com and similar.  I suggest you don't.  These tables sounds pretty good,  but there are many better choices used for less.  The Rega RP-1 I have cost me $600 with the "performance package" - which adds a wool mat, a different-colored belt and a nicer cartridge from Rega.  It is not worth it. 

1. The table will not accept alternative cartridges easily,  and the arm is not adjustable.  So you are somewhat stuck with Rega or Ortofon cartridges or you have to do some customizing with shims, etc.
2. The cueing is goofy.  This is known but no one seems to complain loud enough.  The arm slides out on drop down.
3. Changing speeds is inconvenient. Like taking out the platter and changing the rubber band's position inconvenient.  Rega brags about the simplicity of the table.  I would agree if it simply cost a lot less.
4. Adjusting the tracking force is a pain - the counterweight is just held by friction,  no thread or alternative mechanism to inch it in or out.
5. No head shell. Yes,  this makes the arm very stiff which is good,  but still,  if you are a geek and want to change cartridges often, you will live to dislike this "feature"
6. It is totally manual - no auto nothing
7. The build quality is ridiculously cheap (because Rega claims all the money went into the arm andthe motor, which may well be true,  but after a few times raising and lowering that cheaply-hinged dust cover you will regret it)

So there you have it, my advice to avoid the Rega RP-1 and similar entry-level "audiophile" turntables.  Look for any number of used tables with a good rep (you can do a search here and elsewhere).  For $500-600 your options include a wide range of nice tables on epay and Craigslist.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the music!

OBG
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:36:59 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Advice for Newbies - Turntables
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
A very good point and so true.  ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:30:43 PM »
Get a Technics SL-1200 and take it to Tom. He LOVES modifying them!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

mambrose

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
I just bought my first TT since the 80's. Love it! Now the question.  Other than ebay, soundstagedirect, ect. are there any other not as well known places to get vinyl?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »
Jerry's Records in Squirrel Hill - the best. 

That and garage sales all over town.

The Half Price Books near Ross Park mall (any HPB really) is also a good option.

Goodwill stores are magnets for the worse condition records, in my experience.

OBG

mambrose

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
Thanks for the advise!

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
Some good vintage turntables include Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz and some others.  Do some research and look for the models that were close to being the top of the line products.  Spend your $500-600 on a good vintage instead of a new one.  Know what you are buying and make sure that it is in working condition.  Stay away from ebay, garage sales, CL and Vintage HiFi are your best options IMO.

Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
Be careful out there.  A good properly set up 'table and cart (and $600 buys a great rig) will expose all of the weaknesses, if any, in the rest of the system.  That will require upgrading/modifying amps, speakers, treating rooms, etc.  Then maybe even another 'table and round we go again.  Of course there is also always the search for pristine source material.

I have been into this hobby (or maybe habit, or addiction) since before I could shave and I am not yet done.  Don't you just love it
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 12:19:29 AM »
Just a quick note:

You may have just entered the hobby.  You did not know it before,  but just discovered that vinyl sounds pretty good and is fun to collect. 

Allow me to 'gift' you some experience.  You may be tempted to look at expensive entry level tables like the Rega RP-1 in AudioAdvisor.com and similar.  I suggest you don't.  These tables sounds pretty good,  but there are many better choices used for less.  The Rega RP-1 I have cost me $600 with the "performance package" - which adds a wool mat, a different-colored belt and a nicer cartridge from Rega.  It is not worth it. 

1. The table will not accept alternative cartridges easily,  and the arm is not adjustable.  So you are somewhat stuck with Rega or Ortofon cartridges or you have to do some customizing with shims, etc.
2. The cueing is goofy.  This is known but no one seems to complain loud enough.  The arm slides out on drop down.
3. Changing speeds is inconvenient. Like taking out the platter and changing the rubber band's position inconvenient.  Rega brags about the simplicity of the table.  I would agree if it simply cost a lot less.
4. Adjusting the tracking force is a pain - the counterweight is just held by friction,  no thread or alternative mechanism to inch it in or out.
5. No head shell. Yes,  this makes the arm very stiff which is good,  but still,  if you are a geek and want to change cartridges often, you will live to dislike this "feature"
6. It is totally manual - no auto nothing
7. The build quality is ridiculously cheap (because Rega claims all the money went into the arm andthe motor, which may well be true,  but after a few times raising and lowering that cheaply-hinged dust cover you will regret it)

So there you have it, my advice to avoid the Rega RP-1 and similar entry-level "audiophile" turntables.  Look for any number of used tables with a good rep (you can do a search here and elsewhere).  For $500-600 your options include a wide range of nice tables on epay and Craigslist.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the music!

OBG

Great post.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »

I am lost for words...
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »

I am lost for words...

In the words of Joey...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: >:D >:D >:D >:D
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

bearjew

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 01:13:45 AM »

I am lost for words...

In the words of Joey...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: >:D >:D >:D >:D
joey KNUCKLES!!! :) ;) 8) :P :-* ^-^ :police: :laugh: :-[ ??? :-X

I just bought my first TT since the 80's. Love it! Now the question.  Other than ebay, soundstagedirect, ect. are there any other not as well known places to get vinyl?
I use discogs.com more than anything else.  It allows you to see every release and edition of the album you're looking for, and it gives you a good reference on pricing.  The only bitch about it is that shipping can be pricy if the album is coming from overseas.  I can pretty much guarantee that any album you want is on discogs, but the price could be shitty due to several factors.  All listings have a grading (mint, near mint, etc.) for both the media and the media sleeve.  You'll quickly notice that higher quality listings sell for a shitload of money sometimes, and then you'll realize that you'd rather not have it than have 45 minutes of crackling and shit.  But yeah...  KNUCKLES!!! :) :D ;) ;D 8) ::) :P :-X :-\ :'( :laugh: :laugh: ^-^

Offline Reverend

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
Places to pickup vinyl in the area:

Jerry's in Squirrel Hill
Half priced books in Bethel or Robinson
Mind Cure Records in Polish Hill
The Attic in Millvale
Sound Cat Records (old Paul's) in Bloomfield
Unifaun Records in Lawrenceville (have not checked this place out yet)
Dave's Music Mine in the Southside

Or as Knuckles would say,  :'( :-\ :-X :P ??? O0 :(|) :P ^-^ :D >:D O0 :(|) :P ???