Author Topic: Rev's Fairfax Wall of Sounds  (Read 3590 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Rev's Fairfax Wall of Sounds
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »

VERY nice sound out of these beasts.

OBG

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Rev's Fairfax Wall of Sounds
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:13:07 PM »
Nice pics Pepe, thanks.  The high end on the one speaker is not as loud as the other but all drivers are working.  Looks like a cap job is in order. I cleaned the grills with dish soap and they turned out really well but the frames are trashed and will need remade.  Next step is to remove and test each driver then figure out where the crossover is and if there are any caps wired into the driver terminals like the other Fairfax's I worked on.

They are approximately 50" High x 32" Wide x 7" deep.  The woofer surrounds are rubber and the port design does a great job of producing bass.  The mids are the same as the smaller Fairfax's.  Their are two sets of CTS tweeters and two sets of Philips tweeters per speaker.  The Philips are used as super tweeters.

Should be a fun project.  >:D

Offline Reverend

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Pulled the drivers today and tested each.  All check out ok but one tweeter looks to have a slight tear, luckily I have an extra.  There is no central cross over, caps/coils/resisters are wired randomly throughout the cabinet.  I found a total of 4 caps per speaker.  I ordered Solen caps again today so these should be ready to rock in the middle of the week.  Next the grill frames and some cabinet work.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:14:22 PM »
Rev did some wood work on the cabinets and gave the Fairfax Wall of Sounds a coat of poly to spruce them up.  The x-over caps have been replaced, the missing woofer dust caps installed and they sound even better than before.  The grills are a work in progress. 

Rev mentioned that the six woofers in ea cabinet are partitioned into 3 cavities for a pair each,  each feeding a single bass port at the bottom of the enclosure (!). 

The engineers at River Current developed a specially terminated cable just for the WOSs. 

Nice.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
Thanks Pepe!  ;D

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 09:05:33 PM »
Lookin nice.  There must some labyrinth of cavities inside those speakers
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77