Author Topic: Looking for a audio possibly video switcher  (Read 2286 times)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Looking for a audio possibly video switcher
« on: April 25, 2013, 08:17:55 PM »
So, I am giving some thought to adding an audio switched to my system because I would like to be able to plug my ps3, Wii, cable box, and computer into my C-19 in addition to my main audio components. I am planning on only running the video equipment to the switcher to avoid adding signal length to my high end audio equipment.  If I can manage to plug all the audio and video components to this switcher and just have one audio and video out with a remote to switch between them that would be even better. Audio out 2 rca cables and video could be HDMI or not, doesn't matter too much but HD pass through would be best.

My concerns:

Is adding this going to effect the sound of my other components that are not plugged into the switcher?

Are there any switchers that will sound transparent enough to make it not negatively effect the sound of those being used with it? (Ideally I would be able to stream FLAC files from my computer but the computer would be plugged into the switcher.

Thanks in advance,
Esteban
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Looking for a audio possibly video switcher
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »
how are these coming in? HDMI into a shared DAC?

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »
Well, right now everything with the exception of the computer simply isn't coming in. I use a USB DAC to go to the aux input on the back of the pre. There is an issue that the PS3 is only HDMI out but I am sure there is an adapter for that. I am open to the idea of getting a DAC but am looking at making my C-19 also somewhat functional as a 2 channel AVR.  =P
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
i have a spare 3 into 1 hdmi switcher, hence my Q

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
Not enough components but I suppose I could use something like that and just use a decoder.
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:30:22 PM »
The PS3 has adapters available, both stereo RCA with base band video and stereo RCA with component video.  Can you use your TV as a switch (audio and video)? Many have audio outs, which you can plug into your pre.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:29 PM »
Well I have a TV and a projector. I use the projector for most everything except cable and sadly it is the annoying one of the mix that makes me want to have several video ins to a video out. That way I could switch inputs without redoing the cables.
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »
I have had good luck with various Niles Audio switchers in the past.  Decent quality at a fair price, but I don't know if they make what you need www.nilesaudio.com    Another option is to find a used AV pre/pro or reciever.  With out HDMI, they are relatively cheap.  A fixed audio tape out to you pre takes care of the audio and the video out to your projector addresses the video.  Something with component capability should be available for under $100. I found a Yamaha in a garage sale for $10, just needed cleaning and I bought  Denon for $95-very clean with a manual.  Both switch component video and have all the audio codecs, digital in/out, etc.  If your projector has just one HDMI in, you are good to go.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Reverend

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:39:24 AM »
Are you currently using both Tape 1 and Tape 2 inputs on your C-19?  If they are available that might be a viable option to connect additional audio.

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011008&p_id=8146&seq=1&format=2

That might help. But you're getting into a price range where it would probably just be better to look for a used receiver with pre-outs.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
You guys are great! Trees, that is exactly what I want! I might have to order that later. I would rather buy a piece like that than a receiver because I typically prefer the older equipment and this could go from future setup to future setup. Thanks again!

Stephen
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline treos33

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »
Glad I could help.
Desk:
ObjectiveDAC, Technics SL-1500 w/ Grado Black Cart -> NAD 1000 pre -> Emotiva Airmotiv 4
Bedroom:
Creek 4330R -> DefTech StudioMonitor 450
Home Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR809, Rotel RB-981 -> Boston Acoustics VR-40, VR-12 Center, Soundware surrounds, Velodyne VRP-1200