Author Topic: looking for a new or slightly used copy of Santana Moonflower LP (vinyl)  (Read 5057 times)

OldiesButGoodies

If you know where I can find one, please let me know...

Thanks,

Pepe

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
I wouldn't mind getting a RTR copy of that myself. 

OldiesButGoodies

Excellent point - looking for either or - vinyl or LP.   >:D

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANTANA-Moonflower-PROMO-Record-Album-Double-LP-C2-34914-NM-M-/151104037753?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item232e80a379

For releases on Columbia from the late 70s (IIRC), WLPs are the best way to go.   A lot of the late 60s/early 70s stuff on Columbia actually sounded best on the UK pressings.   There was an engineer over there who insisted on 1st generation tapes and was a brilliant cutter.   My UK "It's a Beautiful Day" crushes any US copy I've heard.    Friends I trust tell me the same is true for Dylans releases of that era.   But in the late 70s US Columbia got much tighter loaning out the masters (when they started their own half speed inset) and from that point the WLPs are the best route to the master tape sound.

If this guy is grading accurately I think you would be very happy with this one (but that's a big "if").   I'll keep my eyes open in my travels.

Offline Reverend

I think I have a copy of this album, I'll look when I get back.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: looking for a new or slightly used copy of Santana Moonflower LP (vinyl)
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
Did you ever find Moonflower?   I'm still keeping my eyes open.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
Negative ghost rider.  But I also did not look very hard, what with the craziness at work.  PBJ is recording the 1st album for me in RTR,  so that is progress.  I also discovered that old crappy records sound a tad better when recorded with DBX encoding (that is my story and I am sticking to it).  So will give my copy of Moonflower a try w that.  I should also email Jerry at J Records to see if he can help me find one.  Thanks Mark...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
The only problem with Jerry (IMHO) is that he gets a little loose with grading sometimes.   He has five of everything.   One can be stone cold unplayed and the other can look like it was tied to your back bumper and dragged around the Strip District and they will both be $5.

Jerry's is a cultural icon, we are so much more than lucky to have it here, but I find it to be a very "hands on" type of establishment.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:45:47 PM »
BTW, Pepe, I have a growing goodie bag for you.   When and where should I leave it?

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
look like it was tied to your back bumper and dragged around the Strip District

Great way to put it...  I think he has a bunch of employees/volunteers who may or may not understand the grading (which not always clearly displayed - M, NM, VG, G and Poor).   

If you drop it off at Papabear or Tom's that would work as I need to drop by sometime during the week/end - thanks!

Pepe

PS - @PBJ - I plan to drop b y soon to return the DVD,   waiting to know you are done w the recording

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
I have both a 180 gram reissue copy and an original release of Moonflower I can make available... but not planning on being at the store until the swap meet.. and no offence but it would depend on what they / it would be played on. I also have an 180 gram copies  of Love Devotion Surrender and Abraxus...  ... and 5 or 6 other Santana albums in various states of play/ condition... lol     If you can let me know what they would be played on, and someone from the south hills ( near McMurray) is coming to the shop... I could send them along...  but would also like to know how/when they would get back to me....  lending albums is even worse / harder than lending tools lol ...  And yes,  I was that guy in college etc... threat of significant physical harm and ability to back it up lol     
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »
Jim - Thanks

It would be played on Rega RP-1 w a Grado Sonata Reference 1 -  should be fairly harmless.  Maybe it would be best if I wait for you to get close to my side of the world and we record it while you are at the cave,  have a beer while the reels spin. 

My next visit to the shop will be for the Swap meet as well in all probability.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
It's not what started this thread, but fyi, I have two copies of Abraxus, one of which I am willing to let go.  It's standard vinyl fare, not played much because I picked up a 180 grain version soon after I bought it. 
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
AbraxAs... Unless there is another one called AbraxUs that I don't know about.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 01:36:11 PM »
CTD already gave me a 7" RTR tape to record Santana (first album) on side one and Abraxas on side two.  Both albums were bought new by me back in the day and are in excellent condition.  @CTD I'm planning on recording today or tomorrow since Wednesday is Chemo day.  Should I proceed as planned?