Author Topic: Analog to Digital Conversion Showdown  (Read 19843 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Analog to Digital Conversion Showdown
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
after some debating with OCCD, he has convinced me that we should do Pulse.  In the end, it's beneficial because we'll all have a high-res digital copy of one of the coolest albums floyd ever put out, and it will shut OCCD's mouth.  so yeah.  i guess i'll do pulse...

Since you put it that way...

I'm in.   Besides, I did some Googling and found out that the vinyl has a track that wasn't on the CD and I also found out to my surprise that it was an analog recording, so I guess it isn't a complete waste of time.

It will be more of a challenge to decide who's drop is better, though.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »
I definitely want a copy of this once it's done!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2014, 06:48:00 AM »
What happened??? Both of you decide to woosh out???
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »
I was under the impression that BJ was going to take possession of the album and do his drop, then let me know so I could pick it up.   I haven't heard anything from him yet.   The holidays are a very busy time in my house anyway, so I haven't pressed the issue.

bearjew

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:58 PM »
yeah, i've been busy as hell.  i actually just got a call to do some conversions, so i'll have to calibrate my turntable and get my stuff setup in the next couple of weeks.  once i have it set up and i do that job, i'll get started on Pulse

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
Sir Thrift:

I have been listening to the digital drops you gave me on DVD for the last two hours, continuously.  They sound pretty darn good.   If I did not know I would not suspect they were sourced from vinyl,  much less from a humble JVC TT with a AT440.  Well done!

The captain salutes you...

Pepe

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
Some of those are on the JVC, but many are on the Fisher that it replaced.   Which ones did you check out?   There is an info file with most.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Glad you are enjoying them.   More proof that you don't have to spend a ton of money for good sound if you are skilled at component matching.

Offline MRHP

• FNG !!!
« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »
To help make this process quicker set a price for the recordings and offer to forum members. That way we all benefit.
I'd give $15 paypal for any exelent recording of Pink Floyd.
TFM-75 serial#00001
PT-2400 serial#00001
Lightstar serial#00008
Lightstar serial#00008
Carver 490t
Sunfire vacuum tune preamp
DENON DP62L
Dahlquist DQ20's

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
To help make this process quicker set a price for the recordings and offer to forum members. That way we all benefit.

I would most certainly be in for the same...  I'd go $20 if I thought it'd help get this off the ground!  I know that ain't much, but with enough of us....
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

bearjew

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »
haha sorry this never happened yet.  i've been so busy, and my turntable isn't even hooked up at the moment, nor is any of my recording stuff.  i haven't been living in a stable location that allows me to hook up all my gear, so everything's being frankenstein'd.  hopefully in a few weeks i'll have things a little better organized.  just got myself a new yob (job), so a new apartment should be right around the corner.  and i actually don't even have speakers right now (long story, should have new ones soon)

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »
haha sorry this never happened yet.  i've been so busy, and my turntable isn't even hooked up at the moment, nor is any of my recording stuff.  i haven't been living in a stable location that allows me to hook up all my gear, so everything's being frankenstein'd.  hopefully in a few weeks i'll have things a little better organized.  just got myself a new yob (job), so a new apartment should be right around the corner.  and i actually don't even have speakers right now (long story, should have new ones soon)

Be that as it may, everyone still thinks you've wussed out.
Sorry.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »

I won't take cash for doing drops of in print material (at least not drops that will be shared).   I do these for the love of the music.   I am, however,  open to taking donations of the vinyl that I drop.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
If somebody wants to order this and give it to me, I will do a drop for everyone.   It is Muddy Waters finest recorded performance and has never been on CD.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIOUS-Blues-From-Big-Bills-Copa-Cabana-LP-re-Blues-R-B-/350951542705?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item51b6578fb1

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »
There is a DJ copy on eBay for $50.   I really like to work from promos, but I'm not sold on the condition.   Maybe a better one will come up at some point.