Author Topic: Infinity RS1b  (Read 12189 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Infinity RS1b
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »
Evaluating a pair of these:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/485infinity/

Cosmetics are great.  All drivers good.  Any thoughts?  Anyone have experience with these?  Biamping is required,  I know that.  Below are shots of the actual speakers drivers, etc.  Looking to spend $3000 tops.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Infinity RS1b
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:33:39 PM »
Show off. But seriously, I want to hear those things, you bastard.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 11:45:19 PM »
I bet they sound like non-heterosexual western men who eat dairy products.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »
I bet they sound like non-heterosexual western men who eat dairy products.
Two gays eating cheese, Pepe. Why Rev drags it out, I don't know.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 12:33:42 AM »
I'd drive to McMurray to hear these.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:57:32 AM »
So no input on sound? 

Trying to scan the web for takes on them while working out possible transportation scenarios with the seller.  No final decision to buy yet,  but getting a pair of these is in my bucket list. 

This is some of what I have read on the net:

If you have enough power to really make them work, they are absolutely awe inspiring. I drove half way cross the country to get them as they are difficult to ship. I would do it again. The lows are as low as you can hear and the highs are pure crystal clear. Remember, these are "old" technology. I would stand them against anything near their price range. There's a real 3d soundstage here. Until you get them in your listening room, you cannot appreciate their size. In our living room they how shall I say it? They stand out. Be sure your significant other can tolerate big looking, but absolutely stunning sounding speakers. They are still out there, but they are getting harder to find. Buy them...
----
I had purchased these speakers used in the late 80's.A friend of mine had a pair of RS1A's and I loved the way they sounded,and started the search.Nothing can explain how these speakers sound.They are FANTASTIC,and I will never part with them.All-though I almost did when Infinity came out with the BETA'S ,BUT listing over 10,000.00 and selling new for 8500.00 I couldn't justify trading my RS1B's and comming up with the extra cash for them.Mine are Medium Oak and I use Denon POA6600 mono blocks for the Bass columns.On the top end I run a Conrad-Johnson MV45 tube amp and let me tell you it is sweet.I do not crank the audio so there is no clipping in my system.My pre-amp is a Bryston .5b no phono section.I always wanted to put Class A mono amps on the Mid/Twt columns and since I am addicted to WWW.AUDIOGON.COM used mono amps are in my price range.I also have to give credit to my wife who polishes them every month.They look brand new.I suggest anyone that has a chance to buy a pair DON'T HESITATE.You would have to pay at least 30,000.00 for todays speakers to duplicate the sound.
-----

I love my Rs1b's. I bought mine from a 2nd. owner and I had them shipped from Mass. to Florida. I hired Craters and Freighters to pack them, and they did a wonderful job. When I moved from Florida to Seattle and packed everything in a Penske truck I again used Freighters and Craters, and they did a great job. They build the boxes right around the speakers. Expensive though.

You are fortunate to have the crossovers modded. The original active crossover was a disaster to use. I would be interested in finding out exactly how the passive crossover was modded. I had the the passive crossovers on my pair upgraded with new caps, etc. but not modified.  I also had all the original Emims replaced with Apogee Emims made by Graz, and they are a huge, huge, huge improvement over the originals. I saved all the original Emims of course, thinking that if an Emim died I would be able to pop an old one back in until I got a replacement, but I have found that they are not as prone to failure as the original ribbons, and I have not yet had to replace one. Enjoy your new speakers. You will love them.

----

If I buy them I would power the mids/tweets with the Carver monoblocks and the bass with the PS Audio Delta 100.

Thoughts, advice welcome.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »
If you get them, I'm sure that would be the last change of speakers in your basement. I've never heard them personally. I think Frankie has a pair.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »
They need a big space to sound their best.  These are overkill for most rooms.  If size matters, then knock yourself out.
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 02:57:15 AM »
My parents living room is 45 x 35 x 18. I think we should set them up there. :) :)

How do they sound, Pepe? How long is your audition? I really wouldn't mind hearing these things.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 08:26:44 AM »
Please note I do not have possession of these yet, and may not ever.  The pictures are from the seller in New York.  I am interested in them,  but trying to understand their condition via pictures and conversation with seller.  These RS1bs came with a passive crossover box that the seller does not have,  so I may back off getting them (the alternative is to get an active cross over from a third party etc.).  Anyway - will keep you posted if it goes any farther.  They sure look tempting to me.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 10:42:52 AM »
Don't buy a Ferrari with Lotus suspension.  >:D

Can you make the Infinity x-over?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »
Beyond outrageous.   I can't see why any Rane xover wouldn't work just fine.   That said, I would be wary of buying any speakers that may have been driven without the xover.   I would hate for you to buy a tower full of magic smoke.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »
Never owned anything like these, but have had a few pairs of Infinities in the house over the years.  You cannot have too much amplifier power.

As an aside, if you are considering dropping $3k on speakers, you owe it to yourself to find a way to listen to a pair of MAC XRT 22s.  It's a two cabinet system with a line source array for the upper mids and highs and lower frequency cabinet, containing 2 12" woofers and an 8" upper bass driver, for the rest.  No speaker I have ever heard can match the low frequency performance at twice the money and the sound stage is spooky solid.  Argueably Roger Russells best speaker design.  They will easily handle 1000+ watts/channel. If I had room, the 22s would be in my house.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77