Author Topic: Maggies refresh on the way  (Read 7057 times)

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Maggies refresh on the way
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:33:39 PM »
Magnepan's current model version 1.6 has been in production for 12 years, and once again a new model is on its way.

Is anyone awaiting the new version, or looking to pick up the previous ones ?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10422797-47.html?tag=mncol

Excerpt from the cnet article:

"The new Magneplanar 1.7 is also a flat-panel design 64.5 inches tall and a mere 2 inches thick! The new speaker looks a little more contemporary, thanks to its aluminum, wrap-around edge molding. The old model was a two-way design, with a 48-inch-tall aluminum ribbon tweeter and a 442-square-inch mid/bass panel. The Magneplanar 1.7 is a three-way design, with a woofer, tweeter, and super-tweeter. The super-tweeter comes in around 10,000 hertz and is said to produce wider dispersion and better-resolved treble than the Magneplanar 1.6 did The other big difference is the Magneplanar 1.7 is a"full-range" ribbon design. The ribbon terminology refers to the way the woofer, tweeter, and super- tweeter drivers incorporate thin-film aluminum foi mounted on a Mylar substrate, suspended in a magnetic field. Conventional tweeters and woofers are"driven" in the center or edge by a voice coil, so the surface of the tweeter or woofer is free to deform its shape as it makes sound. The Magneplanar 1.7's woofer, tweeter, and super-tweeter's entire surface area remains under full control by the signal it's reproducing, so it can't change shape. Translation: it sounds clearer and more lifelike than cone and dome driver designs"

« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:45:37 PM by Master Blaster »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Maggies refresh on the way
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
I heard rumors about these but didn't know when they were coming out.  I had a pair of 1.6's at one time and let them go, wish I still had them.  $1999 isn't a bad price but either is picking up an older delaminated pair and spending a weekend refurbishing them for less then $50.  Something very satisfying about that.  I love Maggies, always will. I have 3 sets but all are in storage because of the lack of room I have in my current house.  Looking forward to taking advantage of the tax credit and moving in the next several months.  #1 Priority = Good listening room for my Maggies.

Offline Colinbgood

• Canadian Prick!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:01:22 PM »
I heard you needed a sub with the maggie 1.6's.  I would like to audition a pair soon (the 1.7's) How about those 3.6's  and one have any experiance with those?  How much power do you need?
Need more Carver! Comming soon a pair of silver 7t's!

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »
They are to be unvieled at CES next week.
We'll likely hear more about them soon.

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »
I heard you needed a sub with the maggie 1.6's.  I would like to audition a pair soon (the 1.7's) How about those 3.6's  and one have any experience with those?  How much power do you need?

With any pair of Maggies you do need a sub.  The 1.6 or 3.6's are no exception.  Some people that are just playing jazz or classical might not see the need but you are not going to get that low bass tone if that's what you're into.

They are very power hungry.  My 3.3r's (newer) or MGII's (old) need a lot of power, 200+ wpc.  I was running dual Crowns in mono, 350wpc.  Again, this is the same with any model, especially the larger versions.  Can you get away with lower wpc?  Yes, but you are not going to get them to open up until high volume.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
Hello all,

I have owned multiple sets of vintage maggies, and I like the bass.  Not a ton of very low end, but adequate to cover most of the bass in 70-80 % of the better recordings.  Won't boom a home theater, or make Metallica sound live (They play too loud anyway), but will produce the micro dynamics of the bass better than most cone speakers.  Besides most rock albums are so compressed, using these speakers are overkill.

That being said, with a sub the speakers can rock ( I tried mine with IL sub from infinity, but liked them better without).

Of course, this is just my opinion and like something else, everyone has one.

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Colinbgood

• Canadian Prick!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »
Hello all,

I have owned multiple sets of vintage maggies, and I like the bass.  Not a ton of very low end, but adequate to cover most of the bass in 70-80 % of the better recordings.  Won't boom a home theater, or make Metallica sound live (They play too loud anyway), but will produce the micro dynamics of the bass better than most cone speakers.  Besides most rock albums are so compressed, using these speakers are overkill.

That being said, with a sub the speakers can rock ( I tried mine with IL sub from infinity, but liked them better without).

Of course, this is just my opinion and like something else, everyone has one.

Dale
Hi which models have you owned?  Im triing to figure out if the is any differance between 1.6 and 3.6's

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 11:53:23 PM »
Hi cbgood,

I have owned MG I, MG II, MG IIi, and MMG's.  The main difference between these speakers are the size of the mylar panels and baffles (the larger baffles cut down on the destructive interference from the back wave of the dipole drivers) increasing the bass response.  All of these use the same mylar with different sections to supply the bass & highs.

I think (but not sure) the 1.6 is made this way.  The 3.6 has a true ribbon tweeter.  The guy that bought my 1's, bought the 3.6 for the front.  It has a true ribbon tweeter, which gives it extended high frequency response, but some think with a sacrifice of some coherence (whatever that means).  I liked the 3.6, but with my old and abused ears did not hear a great improvement from the planar magnetic drivers of the originals.

We drove to Ohio (the closest dealer to PGH) to audition the 3.6 and my buddy bought them on the spot.  After they arrived, he was not happy with the sound until he upgraded his amp for the front channel to a big MAC 2300.  Originally he was using a Pioneer high end HT receiver with "125-150 watts" per channel.

As a side note, I still have a set of IIi's with upgraded xover parts that I like a lot. A buddy of mine redid the drivers, a doable task I have now done successfully myself.  The hardest part is soldering the aluminum wires to the terminals after completing the rewiring of the "voice coils".  The kits are available from Magnapan for a reasonable price.  I still love the idea and the technology of the original speakers, which I believe was adapted brilliantly by infinity for their emit tweeters. 

If you are looking to get into that sound on the cheap, you might want to contact Hal, he has a few sets to sell and is asking a very reasonable price(IMO).
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Colinbgood

• Canadian Prick!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »
Hi confused,
  I will give Hal a pm. I have been meaning to go to a local maggie dealer in Toronto,  Thanks for the info. Colin

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 12:19:18 AM »