Author Topic: Good day all  (Read 4863 times)

Dicky

Good day all
« on: November 24, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »
Hi all.  I have been lurking the forum for a bit now, so I figured I should introduce myself.  My name is Rich and I live in the Brookline area.  It is going on a year since my uncle playing his SX1250 got me back into music, and I have been through a bunch of gear since then.  I got started with an SX 650 and a set of Infinity Qe's, then went through an Onkyo integrated from 8wof paired with a few sets of his speakers (thanks again) until I happened across a set of Fourier 6 speakers from an estate clean out.  I used them a bit, then bought some Polk Monitor 70's.  Used them a bit with the new Emotiva gear, but went back to the Fouriers which just sound better.  I bought a Denon network player which through airplay and an ipad makes music selection from iTunes incredibly easy, and it is a decent tuner as well.  The other stuff I have was free, so it will be replaced when a good deal strikes.

I have had a growing interest in tube sound recently, and last week scored a Columbia Masterwork Model 944 mono console off of CL.  I am sure I will be picking some of your brains this winter as to what to do with it.  It would certainly look good restored, but furniture work is not my forte.  I will be visiting the shop with the inner workings one day though I am sure.

A little about me,  I run an auto parts warehouse in the West End, and am a former mechanic who may do things on the side every now and then.  Feel free to ask any auto related questions, I will do my best to help if I can.  My main hobby is bicycle riding.  When the weather and daylight permits, I will go about 150 miles per week on the Montour Trail. 

I look forward to talking with all of you during the coming months.

Thanks

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Good day all
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 09:53:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rich.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »
Greetings Rich!

Welcome to the Forum!  Glad to hear that your back listening to audio.  There are a lot of good people here and many folks will offer their advice and information.  An opinions both good and bad!  Glad you could join us!  Good luck!

Regards,

Carl
Carl

bmwr75

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »
Welcome!!

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
Welcome to the fun

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 10:19:35 PM »
Hi Rich!   I just started my first tube resto-mod myself.   If I don't burn the house down I will consider it a success.

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
Welcome!  Fourier 6 speakers....wow! I owned a paid back in 1984.  Very nice speakers for the money. 
Bought them off Al  Tucker in Oakland.  Glad to hear you are back into audio.  I strayed too....but found my way back as well.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 11:05:58 PM »
Sup?

Offline vstarkwell

• Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 11:07:51 PM »
What did you with the console? did you trash it? it is/was a Paul McCobb designed piece of furniture probably worth more then the tubeless amps.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »
 Glad you decided to join us. Welcome.
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Dicky

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »
No, the console is still here.  Only thing I did so far is fix the leg.  Woodwork is not something I am good at, however I have a friend who is a shop teacher at a high school so I am awaiting an opinion from him.  I am looking at all avenues, as I kinda do like the look of the thing; it goes well with my basement.  Worse yet my girlfriend likes it and wants it to work, so who knows what will happen this winter.  I even thought of hiding some new gear in it if the cabinet could turn out well...  Oh the possibilities.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 05:39:52 AM »
Hello Dicky. Welcome!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 09:26:06 PM »
Hi Dicky and welcome.  I ride some, but only in fair weather.  My son is a serious mountain biker and works at Dirty Harry's bike shop in Verona.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline hewlew1

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline TNRabbit

• Audio Geek!
  • WTF are you looking at?
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
Welcome, Rich!!
TNRabbit