Author Topic: splitting the output signal  (Read 1843 times)

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
splitting the output signal
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
As you all may know, I'm running several amps in my system
2 Crown PS-400's bridged for my mains.
1 Crown PS-400 stereo for the surrounds. (Hafler circuit)
1 Crown PS-200 stereo for my bedroom mains.
3 Velodyne F1200 subs

The mains are running full range as are the subs which are cut at about 60hz depending on my mood at the time

OK so thats the data.

My question is:
I'm using a lot of splitters to split the signal between 4 amps and 3 subs.

Is there a better way of managing this without the introduction of an active x over?

BTW im looking for an Adcom gfp-715 preamp.  Saw one on Craigslist but it's a bit over my budget.
Anyone have one, let me know.

Thanx in advance,
Andrew
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: splitting the output signal
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »
A little redundant since I posted this in the Chat box but here are the splitters made by Audioquest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audioquest-RCA-Male-to-Two-RCA-Female-/121258863848?pt=US_Splitters_Combiners&hash=item1c3b976ce8

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »
I just sold Pepe a Soundcraftsmen Pro Control Four that has multiple outputs .... including three tape loops... a pre with multiple tape loops would be a very clean option with little or no degredation of signal...  I know that DBX also makes some units for this purpose...  and there are "DJ" related products also:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-6180
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline ataudio

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »

My question is:
I'm using a lot of splitters to split the signal between 4 amps and 3 subs.

Is there a better way of managing this without the introduction of an active x over?

If I'm reading your question correctly you want what Rev has posted.  You could even solder your own for not much money.
An active cross- over is not want you want unless you want to send different frequency ranges to different amps/speaker combo's.
Parts express sells nice gold plated rca jacks, coax cable, heat shrink, etc and you can make you own custom length splitters.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
You will likely need to increase the volume on the Pre to provide the additional voltage needed to split the signal
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »
Those splitters sold by Audioquest are also sold at Radio Shack for 7 bucks each under the RS Gold line.

I use them to split out of my P-304. I currently have the output split between my M-504 and my Magnavox 8800. I have noticed no signal degradation what so ever when running the amps one at a time. I've never had both running at once, however, so your mileage may vary. In addition, you may have to have all of the components plugged in to the same outlet / power strip in order to ensure as common of a ground as possible.

As MacGeek said, you may experience a change in voltage and thus a change in SPL for a given volume level.

Some folks may argue that you may experience a slight change in sound properties due to the increased inductance and capacitance of the additional wire used in the multiple sets of interconnects. These figures are likely small enough to be negligible unless you are using exceptionally long runs of wire.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:11:08 PM by 8 Watts of Flurry »

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
4 amps, 3 powered subs

How do pro bands handle getting the source to all their amps  I was watching an allman brothers video and saw their rig.  8 crown Macro Tecs.  Is there a consumer way of doing this.  a low level voltage amplifier/splitter?

I'm getting ready to purchase an Adcom GTP-350. My Concern is, can run out of gain?

by the way  here's the video.
Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks going at it.  check out the rig on stage left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr_9yt4hsHg

Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b