Author Topic: Open reel tape  (Read 2337 times)

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Open reel tape
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Free to good home.  I have four unused 10" pancake reels of 1/4" open reel tape you can have, but may not want.  These tapes are unused but not new.  I got them as part of an estate find.  After running one reels worth through three different open reel decks, I experienced the following: fast forward and rewind ran slow (I thought it was trouble with the first deck until trying the tape on two others)-the tape seems to "stick".  Residue was left by the tape on all machines.

I did manage a recording or two on my Teac and it sounded very good.

On of the pancakes has been spooled onto a 10" plastic NAB reel, the other three are still in the original packaging.  I do not know the brand or formulation of the tape.  I am not interested in trying to find a fix for the residue and stickiness, if there is one.

I'll hold onto these until the end of the month in case anyone is interested, otherwise, it all goes into the trash.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Open reel tape
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:37:03 AM »
I WANT THEM!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »
Did I tell you I want them?   Can I pick them up this afternoon?    ;D

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »
"SOLD"
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:14:17 PM »
Pepe, like we talked about at Jim's, just "bake" them in a food dehydrator before you spool them so that oxide doesn't get all over your deck.   They will be fine.

If you need a dehydrator, I can let you use mine.   I actually have a project I would like to do at your house if I may and we could kill two birds with one stone.

I have a cassette recording of Albert Collins at the Chicago Blues Festival.   It is on metal tape with Dolby C and just doesn't sound right on my deck.   I thought that since you have the Focusrite now, we could try doing a transfer from one of your decks.   Let me know if you are up for that.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
sure - let's plan something.  maybe next weekend on Sat?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 02:32:24 PM »
I'll check my calendar and get back to you.   I've found a couple exceptionally beautiful Red Seals too.