Author Topic: Been out junking lately  (Read 4671 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Been out junking lately
« on: November 30, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Well, in doing my part to control these orphaned speakers that keep popping up on CL lately, I decided to go and look at some. I keep seeing things like a single corner horn or some oddball speaker that is cheap and looking for a home.

Plus, without any major projects on the horizon...I need something to do

I found this cool corner horn for sale for $150. I had plans to buy it and use it for a bass bin or something.

It has a 12 inch woofer and 5 little inch speakers that handle the mids and highs

When I got home I started looking at the wood and it is gorgeous.

It turns out it is solid 1 inch ribbon cut mahogany all the way around. I tried opening the bottom to see what the drivers are but it is nailed shut all the way around...I'll have to rethink this

The same guy had this laying on a table. It needs to be refurbed but for another $150 I ended up with this too. I think it's a Scott console pull. 3 of the 4 tubes are old Amperex EL84s

He also had this Grampion mono integrated tube amp. It uses RCA 6L6 tubes and the rest are old Amperex tubes.

It's not the prettiest thing, but it has had all the caps replaced. It actually sounds great on that old corner horn. I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for more of these mono amps kicking around
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

bearjew

Re: Been out junking lately
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
wow, that speaker looks great.  looks like you really got a good score.

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
Nice haul!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
That wood is beautiful.   Can't wait to see what is living inside.   What is your source for your new mono system?

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:30:37 AM »
Looks like what is inside of the corner horn will remain a mystery. That sucker is nailed shut all the way around and it would take some serious dismantling to get to the inside. Ah well. For now I am using my sonos for a source and just using a y cable. Down the road I'll probably configure  a mono turntable. I;ll end up using that config for a future project that has been long delayed. For that reason I'll need to save my pennies for a single AN 300b mono bock  :laugh:

Back to more from the Sanford and sons road show. I also acquired one of these:

It is cool as hell. I'll need to source model number 146 and 144 though. I think I have them right.

I also scored a Technics SL1700 thanks to another heads up on a different thread. It's fitted with an Audio-Technica AT125LC phono cartridge. It really sound nice.

I set up my Sunfire TGIV again and was playing around with my old Kenwood KD3100. It caused me to look at turntables again which led to the above.

Whilst on the subject, both my Kenwood and this Technics have residue from old levels and diskwasher brushes that have turned to concrete.. What's the best thing to use to just clean the outside of the table them selves. Ok maybe my Kenwood has a little smoke filled room patina to it that I would like to remove.

Looks like I'll need to also replace the rca cables on the Technics. This one needs a little wiggling to get working. I ordered a replacement set...I'll deal with figuring out how to replace them later.
Tinpan

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
A 1700 is every bit as good as a 1200.   It just doesn't have the notoriety from DJ use (no neutral speed).

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
OK, I give. How do you post a video?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mibfVgMexKM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 10:15:31 AM by tinpan »
Tinpan

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »
delete
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:51:33 AM by tinpan »
Tinpan

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
I think the embed part of your link is the culprit. Go to the youtube video, copy the url in your browser bar. Hit the insert hyperlink button above the reply box. Paste the url in the middle. Hit post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40-oo1S2WEw

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
And the radio is pretty damn cool! I've got a couple crazy old records like WWII news reports that should only be played on a unit like that.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Tinpan

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 02:20:01 PM »
Crud...I have to retype my long post again.

Anyway, thank you for showing me that. This is an old radio that's been disassembled and in the family forever. I and the local tech guy I found  get it working again. He replaced a bad transformer, a couple caps, resistors and added a new line cord. He also added an iPod cable, which with a rca cable converter lets me stream internet radio stations through it. It also picks up AM and SW radios stations like nobody's business.I was pulling in a station out of New York last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdBjSFWqwMI&feature=youtu.be
Here's a local station streamed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQhRpRGgTPE&feature=youtu.be
Here's a 1920's station being streamed

Plus you get to hear Range Avengers above.

Anyway, the whole family is coming over to for Christmas. My aunt gave this radio to my mom in the 90's for my dad to fix. She gave it to me and I finally found a place to fix it. I think she'll be really happy to hear it once again
Tinpan

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 05:24:31 PM »
That is a very cool piece.  Nice work!
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
The same tech guy got my Scott amp working again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRS52OxcHSQ&list=UUN3lqZczgXHO2Ox9qjA2BhA&index=2
It has 4 12AX7 tubes and 4 EL 84 tubes. I had to replace 2 of the EL84's and 2 of the 12AX7's. He also replaced 9 filter caps,8 film caps, 4 coupling caps, 2 power resistors and the pilot light.

It sounds great. I have 2 Telefunken 12AX7s in it now and I'll probably order 2 more. I have 4 military sovtek EL 84 tubes that sound really nice. I tried the 4 new version Mullards and took them out. They sound muddy on everything I've tried them on.

It also has a working phono stage with is kind of nice. Anyway more stuff to play around with
Tinpan

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
Tinpan