Author Topic: Polk SL-2000 tweeter  (Read 5868 times)

Offline GraphicFX

• Double Secret Probation!
Polk SL-2000 tweeter
« on: December 04, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
My friend blew a tweet on his SDA-1C speaker

Anyone have one to sell?
Would like to give it to him for Christmas

Thanx in Advance,
Andrew
Main system
Pre-amp: Adcom GTP-350
Main Amplification: Crown PS-400
Surround Amplification: Crown PS-400
Mains: Polk SDA-2B Studio
Rear fill: Polk RTA-12
Subs: (3) Velodyne F1200b

BB3

Re: Polk SL-2000 tweeter
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »
Graphic, did you call Tom at the shop ? I'm sure he has one laying around.------Bill

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 01:08:25 AM »
Do your friend, and you if you listen at his house, a favor. Buy him the SL2000 replacement tweeter, the RD0194-1 from Polk. That SL2000 with it's nasty 5dB spike between 12kHz and 13kHz is the worst tweeter Polk ever made. He should replace all of them for the best results.

That said, his 1C's are equipped with a polyswitch to protect the tweeters from clipping damage. They go bad from tripping too may times and just from age, so he should check that the tweeter is the actual problem first.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »
Do your friend, and you if you listen at his house, a favor. Buy him the SL2000 replacement tweeter, the RD0194-1 from Polk. That SL2000 with it's nasty 5dB spike between 12kHz and 13kHz is the worst tweeter Polk ever made. He should replace all of them for the best results.

That said, his 1C's are equipped with a polyswitch to protect the tweeters from clipping damage. They go bad from tripping too may times and just from age, so he should check that the tweeter is the actual problem first.

Thanx F1 for not breaking my balls  I took the tweet out and put a AAA battery to the tweet (removed) no click. bottom tweet on that same speaker works fine.  As far as upgrading the tweets, He wants them stock as well as not having the cash for the upgrade.  How much is the RD0194 from polk?
Main system

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »
I went with RD0194 replacement for a pair of Polk Monitor 5.    It is not fair to call i a replacement - it is an upgrade.  That 5db spike in the original is very real.  Your can get a 10% discount, I think, by joining the Polk forum (I know I got a discount - do not remember how much it was). Set me back about $85 I believe.  You can get them cheaper on Ebay as they do show up from time to time. 

In my experience the 194 requires some break in before it really shines. 

Regards,

OBG

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
Thanx F1 for not breaking my balls  I took the tweet out and put a AAA battery to the tweet (removed) no click. bottom tweet on that same speaker works fine.  As far as upgrading the tweets, He wants them stock as well as not having the cash for the upgrade.  How much is the RD0194 from polk?

Ok, seems it is dead. He can swap the bottom one to the top for the time being. As OBG stated, join Club Polk and the tweeter is $48.00 with free shipping.

Not having the cash is understandable, but keeping them stock adds nothing to their value and more importantly, their performance. Perhaps he could figure out a way to buy one at a time.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline AdamG

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
I would at least replace 2 at a time, maybe make both tops the new tweeters and both bottoms old working tweeters, and then when the funds come along you can replace the other two old tweeters. You can recover some of the funds by selling the original tweeters on Epay as well which will help.

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »

Ok, seems it is dead. He can swap the bottom one to the top for the time being. As OBG stated, join Club Polk and the tweeter is $48.00 with free shipping.

Not having the cash is understandable, but keeping them stock adds nothing to their value and more importantly, their performance. Perhaps he could figure out a way to buy one at a time.

I cant seem to find the link for that tweet RD0194-1 on any polk website, Can u post it please?
Thanx for all your input
Main system

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 04:16:23 PM »
I looked at my parts bin.  I have the body of an RDO194-1 (frame and magnet) but it is missing the dome.  I think I used the dome as a temporary fix for my neighbors blown M&K center channel tweeter (somehow if fit perfectly in the M&K's "un-obtanium" tweeter's frame), otherwise I would let you have it.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
I cant seem to find the link for that tweet RD0194-1 on any polk website, Can u post it please?
Thanx for all your input
[/quote]

Polk does not sell parts online. You have to call, 1-800-377-7655.

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 07:32:28 PM »
Thanx for all your input

Polk does not sell parts online. You have to call, 1-800-377-7655.
[/quote]

Do the mounting holes line up with the SL-2000's?

Thanx OBG and F1 for your input and offers
I'll call early next week, order a pair for my SDA-2B's and donate one of my old SL-2000's to my friend

Thanks again fellas,
Andrew
Main system

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
Drop fit.

Offline GraphicFX

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
Main system