Author Topic: Studer vs. Otari  (Read 11290 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Studer vs. Otari
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:17:32 AM »
Well - the rematch happened. Or more accurately, did not really happen.

I brought the Otari to Rev's place.   First we listened to the readjusted phono setup:  it was a night and day difference compared to last time,  although it did look like someone took a dump on it.  Bass was tight and low and imaging was excellent. The magic of a balanced platter and properly set up arm.

Then we listened to the reference 2-track Patty Barber reel I had brought with me on the Revox for a few minutes. Sounded good,  did not do much critical listening,  but I remember it sounding decent.  We left that playing while we went to the garage.  When we got back it was not playing.  Upon further inspection the damn Revox had eaten 3 yards of tape and stopped.

We were able to disentangle the tape and rewind it. I hooked up the Otari and tested play only to discover that the XLR-RCA adapters I brought were not wired for Otari (it uses a different-than-typical config). So no luck on the Otari either, so we went back to the Revox and continued drinking IPA while Rev disassembled the thing to try to adjust the pinch roller tension.  I eventually left to go home, Rev was still doing surgery on the temperamental german deek.

Good times...

Untitled by JSifontes, on Flickr

A link to more pictures here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/jsifontes/sets/72157647516018904/

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Studer vs. Otari
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
Pepe-why Otari uses an odd ball hot pin configuration is beyond me.

Rev-what happened to the B-77?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »
My A77 is awaiting a recap and replacement of a ganged pot and my B77 loses the left channel after about 20 minutes. Both still have original Frako caps which are past their lifetime. They both are solid build, easy to work on (according to others) and sound incredible when working (according to me).  Luckily my TEAC from 1972 and my Akai from 1973 still work great. They are limited to 7"reels though. Luckily I have a rather large collection of classic rock I recorded from borrowed LPs back in high school and college all on 7" reels and all but a few were recorded on BASF, Maxell, & TDK tapes and still sound great. Had to pitch a few that were recorded on Scotch & Ampex that suffered from SSS.  I'm listening to Cat Stevens right now on the Akai.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
Which Akai do you have, pbj?   I have a GX-266II which I really like.   It is good in forward, but has issues in reverse.

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »
Very nice, very nice...but..WTH is that on the turntable? Shades of Caddy shack?

I have an Akai that was pristinely restored. I even have the original box for it. I just don't know what to do with it
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Well Tinpan,  you get some tapes - maybe Maxell UD90.  You put on some decent music off the computer, ideally FLACs. Put the Maxell on the Akai,  set levels and record something from digital to tape,  take the edge off of the 0s and 1s. with that smooth analog sound. Keep the tape monitor loop in while recording,  avoid listening to the original if you can - respect the tape.  Look at the reels' hypnotic spinning on the r2r,  the dancing VU meter needles,  the beer in your hand taste better, life is good for a few minutes.   That is what you should do w the Akai.  8)

Offline AdamG

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
For real, why is there a turd on the turntable?

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 07:50:53 PM »
Somebody left a turd on the turntable!! >:D :(|)

Does the turd improve the sonics?
Carl

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »
The turd looks polished

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
@Tinpan, I agree with OBG

@STaL,  I have a GX-370D. It was their TOTL in 1973 and sold for $1250. It's built like a tank and weighs almost as much (57 lbs).  I have the OEM hard wired remote and in fact after all these years finally found an OEM dust cover for it on eBay. It's in great condition. It sounds and records great but like yours playback in reverse is weak. Head alignment is dead on and typical of the GX heads there is no visible wear so it's not the heads. My research indicates that it's most likely the contacts on a relay that needs to be cleaned. I have not confirmed this though.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
pbj; My GX-266II is only 41 pounds, but I suspect the solenoid controls are much lighter than the mechanical ones.   The 266 is a six headed monster and direct drive capstan.   It just feels solid.   Plus, it is symmetrical in it's layout.   I don't know why asymmetrical decks bother me, but they do.

There is a guy on AK who says that the transistors in Akai pre amps are known faulty units and most audio issues come from them.   He said so many go bad that he just replaces them all on any Akai that comes to his shop.   The original part is unobtainium, but there is a good match for well under a buck each.   I plan to replace all of them when I rehab this thing.   There is a certain connoisseur of tape around here who has graciously offered to help me with this project.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:24:13 PM »
Picture from net, but mine is the same...

$30 at the Butler GW.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:29:03 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 08:48:45 PM »
My Akai is also solenoid operated with full logic (not mechanical). The relay I'm thinking of is for the heads only but I might be thinking of something else. All I know is it sound awesome.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »
The head arrangement is symmetrical, the capstan is direct drive. The motors and general build quality is very heavy duty. I don't care too much if equipment looks symmetrical. I think my PL400 is the only component I have that is symmetrical. Heck the human face isn't symmetrical!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:24:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm speaking purely on a cosmetic level.   It makes no difference functionally.