Author Topic: DIY record cleaning machine  (Read 6249 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
DIY record cleaning machine
« on: May 01, 2015, 02:39:17 PM »
I put this together using spare parts I had sitting around and a few plumbing parts from Lowe's. I had borrowed a Nitty Gritty from a friend and after using it for a week or so it was helpful, but couldn't justify the insane price. I'd rather spend that money on records.

The box is pretty simple, the top is a scrap piece of kitchen counter. The sides are pine from old stair risers. Nothing spectacular, just solid. I put a bottom on before taking pics so the internal plumbing has to be left to your imagination. Basically just used drain parts from the top inlet routed over to the side.

The platter is likely the trickiest part. Find an old destroyed tt, the first iteration used a water damaged Technics. The spindle wobbled too much, so it was replaced with a Dual spindle, sub platter and platter. Hard part here is to attach the spindle so it won't wobble, I found a part from an old light that the spindle fit into nice and snug. It also helped that I could attach it for more reinforcement.

The wand is an crevice tool from a vacuum. Using a Dremel tool I cut a slit about 1/8" wide that goes a bit beyond the end of the record and just short of the label in the center. I then glued a painter's pad to it and cut the slit.

If the crevice tool isn't super heavy plastic, it will close up the slit with super suction. To resolve this I spent hours of blueprinting and engineering. Just shove a piece of wood in there as a brace.

This is the vac I use. Any shop vac, upright or tiny thing like this will work. I've never had an issue with moisture, but I don't drench the records either. Isopropyl alcohol in my cleaning solution will help things evaporate as well.

It works and it fits on the bottom of my rack so it's a win for me. It's not a silver bullet restoration machine, but then again neither is a $400 Nitty Gritty or similar. The edge the Nitty Gritty has is you vac one side while scrubbing the other so it cuts down on time spent a little bit.

I wet down the records and scrub with the painter pad. Then vac it dry. The hockey puck helps spin the platter or just do like a dj and use the platter rim.

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: DIY record cleaning machine
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
Kudos on a fantastic homebrew cleaner!
Just fantastic!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:39:29 PM by MasterBlaster »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:31:17 PM »
Looks great!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
Very nice!  Looks great!
Carl

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:17:02 PM »
Looks good, Thanks for posting.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »
EXCELLENT!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:08:05 PM »
Sounds like it cleans as good as it looks, which makes it a winner!
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
Upping my game and building a new cleaner. Thanks to Anders, I got most of the internals of an VPI 16. Going to take a bit of time to get it done. So far I've figured out the wiring and made sure motors still worked, which they do. I think the biggest hurdle is going to be creating the vacuum side chamber. I've seen a few ways of doing this and haven't decided yet.

Here's the very rough draft

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
Updated progress, more form than function. Long way to go.

Tinted an old dust cover I had sitting around. Needs clear coated still. Picture is a little darker than reality. Lid closes without having to remove vac wand.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »
I looks pretty good to me.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Resident

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
I agree that is coming along quite nicely.
Micromega IA-400
Toshiba SD9200 N
Sony PS X75
Mission 775
Jamo D830 Concert 8

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 12:22:56 AM »
Nice job Scorpio!

Let me suggest that you try and waterproof the top surface.  Thin sheet plastic would work nicely.  Water damage to the top wood surface is the death of many VPI machines.  They soak in water, warp, distort and separate apart.  Good luck!
Carl

Offline Resident

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 03:28:58 PM »
Nice job Scorpio!

Let me suggest that you try and waterproof the top surface.  Thin sheet plastic would work nicely.  Water damage to the top wood surface is the death of many VPI machines.  They soak in water, warp, distort and separate apart.  Good luck!

Great suggestion and also very very true.
Micromega IA-400
Toshiba SD9200 N
Sony PS X75
Mission 775
Jamo D830 Concert 8

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »
I became well aware of the water damage issue while reading up on them. The spare parts from Anders were spare due to water damaging the wood, er...particle board. Nothing wrong with particle board if water never touches it. When it does, it's wreaks havoc. My plan is to stain the exterior and put a few coats of poly over top of it. I thought of laminating it with extra countertop laminate I have but I figure the lily and not flooding it will be ok.

I have the box complete minus the bottom attached. All parts are mounted and wired. Having a tough time getting the vac side to seal, need to make a smaller "vacuum" chamber, right now the draw isn't enough to pull the wand down.

I also made a new clamp from a hockey puck, that little 1" clamp was a bit too tiny for me. Just an FYI the threads on the spindle are 1/4" 20TPI. Lowes sells a T nut that can be pounded into wood or this case vulcanized rubber.

More pics later on.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 08:58:25 PM »
I think I'm finished.

Hinges??? WTF?

Hinges are easier for future access rather than removing the bottom. This is no Toyota, I'm sure I'll need to get under there again.

The catch tank was by far the worst part of this whole build. I had no clue what type of volume the vac would need to be able to suck the wand down. Trial and error for about a week. I tried sheet metal but couldn't get sealed correctly and it was getting crazy to work with. About a month ago someone lost a sheet of plexiglass in front of our house. I claimed it and stuck it in the garage. I made a rough draft with the plexi and it worked. So I cut up some more and made a box using PVC trim in the corners. It looks horrendous, but it works and is hidden. I ran an old water supply line into the box and out the back. I do have a slight concern with using isopropyl alcohol in my cleaner, not sure about the long term effects it could have on that plexi.

This is where it'll live. The cabinet has wheels and will house all the fluids, brushes, sleeves, etc. I was hoping it would be large enough to use one drawer for "clean later" LPs.