Author Topic: Stacking Advents  (Read 3138 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Stacking Advents
« on: July 16, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
Hello folks,

I now have what I believe to be four working Original Large Advents (thanks for the refoam help, STaL!) and wanted to hook them all up, and make some room in the garage at the same time.  I am planning on using a TEAC SA-200 integrated amp that is supposed to be 100WPC so should be good there.   I will invert the top one and, as I understand it, I should run wires from the top speakers pos and neg to the bottom speakers neg and pos, respectively.  Can someone confirm?

thanks
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: Stacking Advents
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »
Not sure about inverting the upper ones. Wouldn't that make half the music upside down?  Definitely wire in series otherwise you're dropping impedance to around 4 Ohms assuming the Advents are nominal 8 Ohms. I doubt a Teac receiver would look kindly at 4 Ohms. Wired in series would give you 16 Ohms which should be fine. In fact if your receiver has A/B speaker selector it most likely will wire the speakers on each side in series when all 4 speakers are selected. Hope that helps

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:51:31 PM »
Hello folks,

I now have what I believe to be four working Original Large Advents (thanks for the refoam help, STaL!) and wanted to hook them all up, and make some room in the garage at the same time.  I am planning on using a TEAC SA-200 integrated amp that is supposed to be 100WPC so should be good there.   I will invert the top one and, as I understand it, I should run wires from the top speakers pos and neg to the bottom speakers neg and pos, respectively.  Can someone confirm?

reading a little more, I believe that I should run wire from amp pos to speaker one positive to speaker two negative and wire from speaker two positive to speaker one negative to amp negative....or I could run 4 pairs of wire to four speakers and use the A+B speaker setting.
thanks
Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:48:44 PM »
Mike,
regarding the orientation of the "stacking..."

For PRO audio, always do this, aka keep the highs/tweeters together... My understanding is to do the same for home listening of the Advents...

I believe you are on the right track regarding wiring...
George

5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 01:05:28 AM »
Wire in series:

Carl

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:42:59 AM »
GDV...Yes,  I have read that you flip the top one to keep the tweeters close.

PBJ, I know that risks making the music play upside down but seems like it is worth the risk!

Carl,  thanks for that diagram.  I searched and had found a similar one.  It makes its easier seeing it.   And I think I may have gotten that question right on the SATs way way back.  I remember them having a question with several diagrams that asked 'which diagram is wired to have all bulbs light up?" or something like that.

thanks again for the help,guys.

Mike

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 08:38:50 AM »
Stacked Large Advents can handle just about anything you throw at them and will kick ass.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 02:41:41 PM »
(thanks for the refoam help, STaL!)

No problem.   It was good to meet you and put a few "karma points" in the bank.   I just wish my first experience with that glue hadn't been on your speakers.   I like Aileens better, but I'm thinking that stuff might be useful when working on poly cones.   What was it called again?

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 07:29:12 AM »
It was just the glue that came with a Simply Speakers order.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 10:32:29 AM »
So, how do your stacked Advents sound?

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »
Planning to set them up tomorrow.   Made a lot of room in the garage today, moved out 1200lb of weights.  Then had a beer and jumped into the pool.  I am just lazy.

I did have the deck system cranking some RL Burnside and some AfroPop.   
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 05:43:03 PM »

After mowing the lawn, weeding and mulching the garden and finally, floating around in the pool with an Anchor Steam to cool off,  I managed to summon the initiative to stack the Advents.   I could be wrong, and it was too hot to double check but I am pretty sure I  have large Advents on the bottom and the Original Large with the bullnose edge on the tops.  I wired them right and they sound really good with just a Yamaha CR-640 driving them at around volume level of two.    As STal knows,  my double garage, while a nice shaped 'room', usually just has my wifes car and a few weight machines along the back wall.  Currently, there are a few big corner speakers, a mono console,  and the over-priced-for-now Hammond JR-20 sound cabinet, which I should move to the shed for the summer.   That is, if I had any room in the shed.   

Anyway,  I will be cranking them while doing my indoor rowing as well as when other opportunities permit. 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers