Author Topic: Broken stylus  (Read 2111 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Broken stylus
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:45:53 PM »
Crap. Had a bit of a mishap and snapped the cantilever in half on my Grado Gold1 cartridge. Man does this suck.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: Broken stylus
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:35:14 PM »
Sorry to hear...   :(

5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 12:57:28 AM »
Call Grado in NYC.   I had a driver go out on my SR-60 AFTER 20 YEARS and they still repaired it.   Replaced both drivers so they would be matched for $25.   Crazy excellent service.   Maybe they have a blanket service for their carts too.   I don't know, but it can't hurt to ask.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 06:10:05 AM »
Ditto the call to Grado.  SoundSmith just completed a repair to the suspension of my B&O cart.  It's amazing to me what can be repaired these days.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 07:23:41 AM »
I already contacted Grado. They were of no help. Not even any sympathy. Told me to buy a new one. That's a $150 stylus. If the removal of the stylus wasn't such a bitch it would have never got damaged. Back to using my trusty Stanton 681EEE MK II S. Still having hum issues. BJ's Funk Firm Vector with his Grado cartridge hums as bad as my ReVox with the same cartridge. Yet my Stanton on a relatively inexpensive jvc tt is quiet. Gotta go back and test the ReVox with the original ReVox /AKG cartridge and/or the Stanton since Galaxy worked on it a second time. Seems like there also could be compatibility issues with the phono preamp in my Carver pre. Also BJ is going to bring his external phono preamp over to test using that. Chemo treatment this morning through Thursday so testing may have to wait. Final step is to give up on vinyl all together!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:59 AM »
If you guys want any help/company troubleshooting, let me know.   Good luck with the chemo.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
I have a good cartridge you can borrow until you can get yours fixed, an AT440ml.  Also have an old Dynavector MC that's available.

Pepe and Rev have both had very good experiences with Sound Smith....
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
If you guys want any help/company troubleshooting, let me know.   Good luck with the chemo.

Thanks Thrifty,
I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it. I'm certainly not surprised by your kind gesture.

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 05:15:19 PM »
I have a good cartridge you can borrow until you can get yours fixed, an AT440ml.  Also have an old Dynavector MC that's available.

Pepe and Rev have both had very good experiences with Sound Smith....

Jim, I really appreciate your offer of a cartridge loaner/test. Thrifty swears by the AT440mla and is one of a couple cartridges I would consider if I buy a replacement. That might be a good cartridge to test on the ReVox
Thanks

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 05:33:06 PM »
Thrifty swears by the AT440mla and is one of a couple cartridges I would consider if I buy a replacement.

It's nice to know that someone around here listens to me.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »
Jim's AT440 cart is impressive - gives my more expensive cart a run for its money.