Author Topic: Audio Resolutions for the New Year?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Audio Resolutions for the New Year?
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
Just wondering if you guys have any audio resolutions for the new year? New equipment plans? hopes? dreams? lol 

I'll start... I have two:  first I'm pretty much done with buying vintage bulk vinyl albums... my want list of Rock albums is pretty much complete so I'll limit additions to "new" music,  jazz and blues albums only.

Second, Going to buy a "new to me" car sometime in the first half of this year... the new car will have a very good audio system. Have had more than my share of very nice vehicles, but the audio systems have all sucked! including my current Lexus and the Land Cruiser before that...

a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

bmwr75

Re: Audio Resolutions for the New Year?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:39:36 AM »
My resolution is to enjoy the audio stuff I already have.........and spend my disposable income on guns and ammo.  :-)

Offline vstarkwell

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Bass!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 01:46:11 PM »
T( . )( . )b gear!!!, looking for highly efficient speakers to pair with said gear and, I say this this but we'll see what happens, I plan on releasing some SS gear back into the wild so they will be utilized on a more consistent basis. After many years now I just want to keep it simple.

I'm currently floored by how good my new to me Maggie 9302 is sounding, my Dynaco ST70 & Ampex mono-blocks are getting jealous.

@Jim

I hear you about vinyl, I'm still in the process of whittling down my current stash.

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »
No more gear! Unless I find one of those elusive Dual 701/721 direct drives without giving up a kidney. 

Instead, I plan to keep adding more vinyl so this time next year I can get to the point where I need to start moving some of it out like some of you guys. 

Also been kicking around the idea of finding an old Victrola as a restoration project, which goes against no new gear, ack who am I kidding.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
I recently started a thread about new HT speakers.   That is my resolution.

bearjew

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 03:24:32 PM »
T( . )( . )b gear!!!, looking for highly efficient speakers to pair with said gear and, I say this this but we'll see what happens, I plan on releasing some SS gear back into the wild so they will be utilized on a more consistent basis. After many years now I just want to keep it simple.

Looks like I'm switching to tube gear just in time for the new year also...  I'm taking the other route though; instead of aiming for efficient speakers, I'm getting 400wpc amplification instead :P

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »

Looks like I'm switching to tube gear just in time for the new year also...  I'm taking the other route though; instead of aiming for efficient speakers, I'm getting 400wpc amplification instead :P

That's not a tube amp, it's a space heater.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 05:04:43 AM »
I plan to spend more on acquiring music, less on the stereo itself.

If I do buy stereo components I need to stick to my guns: look up not laterally or down.

Sell off unused stuff!
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

bearjew

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 07:01:01 AM »

That's not a tube amp, it's a space heater.

Fair point.  At least  I'll be prepared for the cold weather... if it ever comes...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »
To get a second sub to even out the basement or get a smaller basement.  Maybe a couple more GoldenEars for side surrounds.

To find a treasure trove of SACDs hidden in some estate sale for $20 (or  2 track master recordings,  or great LPs).

To spend more time/week listening to classical music and get to understand it better. 

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 09:26:44 AM »
To work on some of the way too many project pieces I have around, instead of buying more projects.

At the same time, to listen to more new to me music.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 10:34:13 AM »

To spend more time/week listening to classical music and get to understand it better.

I know terrestrial radio is passe these days, but Pittsburgh is lucky to have one of the better stations in the country and this is a great, inexpensive way to broaden your horizons.   

Maybe you can find some old tube tuner to drop way too much money on to make it an audiophile approved experience. :laugh:

bearjew

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »
me old tube tuner to drop way too much money on to make it an audiophile approved experience. :laugh:

This sounds like a very good idea.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »
Way ahead of you on that one, guys.  I have my Mac MR 78 tuned to WPEP as I write this.  It's not just a great Pittsburgh station, but one of the better ones I have found in a number of places to which I have traveled.

I once had an MR 71, but like the 78 better and sold it
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77