Author Topic: Buying records on eBay  (Read 2907 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Buying records on eBay
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »
So tax refund time is the one time of the year that I treat myself to filling a few holes in my collection.   I made three different record purchases on eBay, from three different sellers, and two were over graded by at least one grade and the third was over graded by at least two grades.   All are listenable, but none are accurate in my estimation.

So, am I overly critical or are all three sellers wrong?   I'm pretty sure that when you buy a record listed as NM, you shouldn't find audible hairlines and spindle marks all over it.   Usually I am very patient and just wait for the right copy to come along.   I guess I'll be returning to that approach.

Do any of you buy vinyl on eBay?   What are your experiences?

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
Re: Buying records on eBay
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:18:30 PM »
I've only bought a few and they were still sealed

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
I have encountered the same problem with factory open reel tapes.  As long as the prices are relatively low, I take my chances.  Otherwise, for bigger bucks, I am with PBJ.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »
I've had mixed luck. I rely on ratings, but you never know. I recently got a Chuck Berry Chess Box for real cheap, the records I don't were ever played. I bought a "VPI cleaned" that was covered in dust and multiple cleanings hasn't helped it. NM to me is a sealed or never played record. Grading is very subjective, we all have different ideas. Too bad more people don't follow the Goldmine standard or give an honest play grade.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 11:36:33 PM »
the only ebay album  purchase I've made was suppose to be a sealed copy.... and it was... it just wasn't factory sealed... looked like someone did it themselves. Record had fingerprints and dust and some scuff marks  etc all over it. Of course when I asked the seller about it, it was my fault and he got angry and fained insult. At this point I won't buy albums I can't see for myself, or "new" albums only. 

The only exception is albums people send / provide based upon my valuation. That takes trust.... but has worked out very well for the few people I've done that with. 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 12:04:26 AM »

The only exception is albums people send / provide based upon my valuation. That takes trust.... but has worked out very well for the few people I've done that with.

That's an interesting approach.   I can't see doing that on eBay but maybe I'll try selling some on AK that way.   

BTW, two of the three sellers offered partial refunds when contacted, so I don't think they are bad guys, just made mistakes.   One guy came right out and said he never sold records before but a large collection of semi rare stuff fell into his lap, so now he sells records.   He even asked me where he could learn about grading, so I sent him a link to Goldmine's standards, and he seemed to genuinely appreciate it.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:24 AM »
The guy in AZ I met has sent me two shipments so far... the first one was a bust and it was a stretch to send him enough to cover shipping cost... however the second shipment was a gold mine of albums I wanted/ didn't have and the check was for $155.00. I paid him based on average cost on Discogs and added $ for mint condition and was very glad to do it. I did something similar with an occasional poster here and paid him more than he asked. 

I'm not a collector... I'm a listener, so condition of the vinyl is everything to me.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Gelid

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 10:54:48 PM »
I have been buying used LP's off the bay for about three years, and am generally pleased with the experience.

Out of approximately 80 LP's:

2 were warped (Asia debut, and On Your Knees by Great White)
1 was defective from manufacturing (90125 by YES was one of the club editions mentioned below, and it was mastered too fast)
3 were not as described: (Julie London's Lonely Girl and Calendar Girl, and Bob Seger's Against The Wind)
2 Japanese pressings were poor quality stampings (distortion and extremely low treble): Prologue by Renaissance, and Evolution by Journey
2 were record club editions. Mostly my fault, as it was clearly evident in the photos, but not mentioned in description.

All the others were either as I expected or better.

I do have a pretty low standard for the condition of the jacket of a used LP, although I can't stand creases from bending.

While shopping for used records, you have to apply a different standard than you would buying new.
Even though the seller claims the 60-year-old record is in mint or near-mint condition, that is just too improbable, given the
common handling and storage techniques. You can't expect much, but it should still be a fine specimen that is very listenable.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 11:48:33 AM »
You can't expect much, but it should still be a fine specimen that is very listenable.

I can expect the condition to match the grade.   That is why they have grading systems, isn't it?   I sell lots of records too and am horrified when someone isn't pleased with their purchase.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
You would be amazed at the fabulous condition of some 60 year old records.   I just sold a pair of Supremes albums, that I got from the thrift (extraordinary), that looked like they had just been unsealed.   The buyer thought I was being optimistic in my listing but was thrilled with his purchase.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »
So tax refund time is the one time of the year that I treat myself to filling a few holes in my collection.   I made three different record purchases on eBay, from three different sellers, and two were over graded by at least one grade and the third was over graded by at least two grades.   All are listenable, but none are accurate in my estimation.

So, am I overly critical or are all three sellers wrong?   I'm pretty sure that when you buy a record listed as NM, you shouldn't find audible hairlines and spindle marks all over it.   Usually I am very patient and just wait for the right copy to come along.   I guess I'll be returning to that approach.

Do any of you buy vinyl on eBay?   What are your experiences?

What is a tax refund?   :'(

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »
It's this thing they give to the working poor.   You wouldn't be familiar.   ;D