Author Topic: RCM static reduction  (Read 1836 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
RCM static reduction
« on: March 09, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »
Winter or static season is slowly fading away so maybe a little late. A couple months ago I was trying to clean records (ultrasonic then RCM) and vacuuming them dry records just kept charging them up. Using a Zerostat helped, but didn't get rid of it all. I started searching for a zerostat alternative. I read about people using antistatic ionizing fans either near their turntables or at their RCM setup. I saw the typicial, "you can find them on ebay for cheap about $35 or so". Well I couldn't find anything cheap enough to take a gamble on. I was searching Amazon and found this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAV3GHO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were multiple new and used offerings, one was for $23. New, but may be dented, scratched and missing bonus items. OK, I'll gamble. I've never figured out what bonus items were missing. The unit looks brand new, has no dents or scratches. So off I went putting some records in the ultrasonic, then onto the RCM with the fan blowing across the setup. It worked. No trace of any static, it's voodoo. Even tried letting the vacuum run a few extra turns which would usually make enough static to start a small thunderstorm, no static at all.

Would I pay $90 for one? No. Not unless I was using a RCM daily. I wouldn't pay $90 for a zerostat and that's about where they start new. If anyone has the same static issues and wants to borrow it for test drive for a couple days, let me know.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: RCM static reduction
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 02:03:37 PM »
Do you have a link for the cheap refurb?   For a few bucks I might check it out.   I use a Zerostat and most importantly in my experience a humidifier.   But I would be open to checking that device out, it seems it would be beneficial.   I hate picking up a clean record and watching dust and debris literally drawn onto the clean surface.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
Oh, and I got my Zerostat at a yard sale for $5.   But if it died I would pay $90 for a replacement.   I find it indispensable.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 07:53:36 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/RONXS-Electric-Rechargeable-Flexible-Fireworks/dp/B07KK6VFPC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3K129H8WMNEQZ&dchild=1&keywords=roxns+lighter&qid=1615337500&sprefix=Roxns%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-2

For those of you who have or remember the Zerostat anti-static gun will already have an idea what this inexpensive device can accomplish to improve the way records can sound. All you need to do is have the record rotating, push the slider switch to the "on" position and push a small button and wave the tip of the lighter back and forth across the surface of the record at about 1/2".   The results are very impressive, less "touch down" noise as the stylus finds the lead in groove and a marked reduction in noise throughout the complete record. Try it you'll like it!
Carl

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:05:37 AM »
Hey Carl,

I have one of those lighters.  While it is great for candles, I never would have thought about using it to reduce/eliminate static on LPS.  I'll have to give it a try and also compare it to my Zerostat.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 09:20:46 AM »
Do you have a link for the cheap refurb?   For a few bucks I might check it out.   I use a Zerostat and most importantly in my experience a humidifier.   But I would be open to checking that device out, it seems it would be beneficial.   I hate picking up a clean record and watching dust and debris literally drawn onto the clean surface.

No, there was just one available. I read about the fan on AK I believe, someone mentioned Simco Aerostat. They're about $600 new and guys were claiming ebay has used for $35, but I couldn't find any that cheap. As with anything, the Chinese have copied them. Try searching ebay/amazon with "benchtop ionizer".

I think I paid $40 or so for my zerostat used, if it broke I'd try to find another used. My brain doesn't overcome the simplistic design using $6 worth of parts that sells for $100. This whole thing started with me looking for a "cheaper" alternative to the zerostat. I wanted another because if I'm downstairs the gun is upstairs sort of thing. During the winter I use that gun everywhere in the house, laundry, cat, furniture, etc

Like I said, anyone who'd like to try it out is welcome. I thought it was snake oil-ish, but it works for me. I also put the candle lighter in my cart, that's just too damn cool to not have.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 08:54:17 PM »
I have humidifiers running on both floors of our house, as well as one on the furnace for the whole house.  I try to keep the humidity above 40%.   This helps quite a bit, in my experience. 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers