Author Topic: verdict needed  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
verdict needed
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »
It looks like we are going to be getting some new furniture in the living room which will compromise the listening experience from floorstanding soundmakers. If you were me and had to choose between a gorgeous pair of Mcintosh XR 16s or a modded pair of Polk SDA2s, what would you go with?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: verdict needed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »
Screw the new furniture !!!! 

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:01:54 PM »
As for which speakers... my answer is YES!

f**k the furniture... :o
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »
aaarrgh.... I hear you guys! But I'm afraid this is a no option situation. I'm not a big complainer, and I see the matriarch's point. The room is dominated by the large boxes flanking the TV, which in turn is compromising seating options. We will be able to fit the new furniture in the room, but the armrest of the sofa will be less than a foot from the left channel, and if I can't get the full effect of the speaker, I'd rather not hear it at all. When I brought this to the attention to the queen, she was honestly disappointed saying she's grown attached to the speakers. I know I can get great sound out of a pair of toy speakers, which makes me semi-ok with the idea. I'll still have my cave for the big azz speakers.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.