Author Topic: Turntable Issues  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Turntable Issues
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
I recently moved and finally setup my man cave.  It took awhile as I had to move my speakers around (back wall/side to side) until i'm getting the perfect conditions for my listening position.  Throughout the process I've used either a CD or my AppleTV (mp3) to tune everything.  I sat down last night and decided to put on some vinyl which I hadn't since I made my adjustments.  Not sure what is going on but it does not sound right.  To clarify, it sounds good if you're standing closer to the speakers but from my listening position it does not come close to projecting what the digital source did.

Things I checked:

1.  played a different album
2.  checked I was using the right phono channel (mm/mc) and interconnects/ground wire was secure
3.  swapped out the cartridge and tried another

All with the same results.  Could I now be looking something related to the position of the turntable?  It's in a 3 sided closed wooden rack with a small cable hole directly behind it on the rack.  I'm not using a dust cover.  I am using brass feet.  I haven't gotten to the point of moving it out of the rack to see if this might help, that's my next step.

Has anyone else had these type of issues and do you feel it might be placement related?

SunnyDaze

Re: Turntable Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
Position related? I'd say no, unless you're getting extreme resonance through the chassis of the 'table. Every time I've had this problem, it's been something along the lines of the MM/MC settings were bumped accidentally during transport.

Also, is the table level? The gradient of the table in conjunction with true "flat" will effect the sound output since stereo from vinyl is modulated at 45 degrees, not 90.

And, not that you already didn't, but check to make sure you didn't bump your anti-skating.

Offline Reverend

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
I have separate channels for MM and MC and I checked those.  Table is level I have a little level meter on it and I don't have anti-skating.  I also forgot to mention that I tried adjusting the tone arm weight and the channel Hz on the preamp too.  It's a very simple old table.  Cartridge has a brush attached to it and there wasn't any access dust/debris.

It's weird, like I said, move closer to my speakers and it sounds great, just doesn't seem to project as well.  Sounds like I have a blanket hung in front of me.  And it's only when playing the turntable.

Good excuse to buy a new turntable!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:00:01 PM by RevAmish »

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:03:10 PM »
Does not seem position related...

Just to clarify...  A cd now sounds good but an lp does not?  Certain your speakers are in phase?  Certain the connections in the TT headshell are good?  Sometimes they get corroded which degrades the sound...

Or are you talking output cd vs lp?

Hope you solve soon!!!   :(

(just read new post)
**Try to remove the brush...
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 02:32:10 PM »
Well, I am selling my Dual CS 604 relatively cheap. :)

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »
About the only other thing that I can think of... and this is a longshot... would be if that outlet(s) that you're now hooked up to posses insufficient current?

Offline Reverend

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »
No, there's new service in the house and I use a line conditioner.  The more I think about it...I'm wondering if static is coming into play?  I have new carpets, I noticed that when I put the record back in the sleeve it felt staticy (is that a word).  Maybe the move, the way I had the table boxed, it had picked up a lot of static and I haven't noticed it before.  I've read this can play havoc.

Any quick cures for this?  Does Radio Crap sell anti-static spray?  I'll just buy a antistatic cleaning brush, we'll see if that works.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:06:39 PM by RevAmish »

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
Please don't spray ANYTHING on your records, unless you want them to sound SUPER "staticy!"   :D

Keep us informed of the status...
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:06:51 PM »
I extremely doubt that static would be a factor. The strength of the electric field one inch or so above the plane of the disc would have a minimal if not completely negligible effect on the current generated by the cartridge and traveling down the tone arm.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
Did you ever get this one solved?

Offline Reverend

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
Not sure what's going on.  My motor is on it's way out too so I might be looking for a new one.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »
Good excuse to buy a new turntable!   Grin
...Sounds like a plan!!!!!  8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »
I love old 50's/60's turntables.  Very simple, easy to mod and they sound great with little investment.  I think I'm going to buy a Elac Miracord 50h.  My friend had one, original, and it sang like a bird.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »
I love old 50's/60's turntables.  Very simple, easy to mod and they sound great with little investment.  I think I'm going to buy a Elac Miracord 50h.  My friend had one, original, and it sang like a bird.
  I like the looks of that Rev...go for it!!!!!  8) ;D 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!