Author Topic: New headphones are on the way!  (Read 5738 times)

SunnyDaze

New headphones are on the way!
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »
Someone a whole heck of a lot brighter than myself once said "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human." At some point or another, we've all succumbed to our impulses and spent what seems like a significant sum (income pending, I'm a lifetime student!) on our first pair of "cans". For me, it was in 2005, when I bought myself a set of SR225's to run while my roommates were sleeping. We spend weeks reading, listening, and interacting. We spend hours positing which make and model is "right" for us, within out budget. And then, we pull the trigger. Next, we attempt to justify said purchase. We go foreward with our wallets lighter, our ears happier, our significant others left completely confused, and often times upset.

How is any of that remotely impulsive? The very notion to obtain cans strikes you like a bolt of lightning. 1.21 gigawatts, as the man said. Once the bug to get new cans bites you, forget about it. You're getting new cans.

Sometimes we get lucky. I found a minty set of SR60's on this forum for $35, with two extra sets of flats. I won a $30 Best Buy gift card from school. That funded my PortaPro's. Luckily, they're the "Black" editions. They have the same upgrades as the 25th anniversary PortaPro. Sometimes these little interludes can sufficiently play second wind to your "good" cans. In my case, the 225's. Other times, it just doesn't work that way. The upgrade bug bit me a few weeks ago.

Here's how that worked out for me.

Initially, I stepped forth with an open mind, and a budget of $300, give or take. I wanted, or so I thought I wanted, cans that would be as neutral as possible. Folks suggested K701/K702's. Luckily, a friend nearby had a set for me to indulge upon. Instantly I thought, "Aww, how nice. Where'd the edge go? No fun!"

Another friend's father owns a set of 600's. I didn't hear that "veil" that folks spoke of, but I did hear less detail than my 225's. Most of you would call this "less bright".

I read up on Beyer 880's and 990's. I'm not a bass heavy guy. Eh... Not for me.

I like loud, gritty, raw, ugly, dirty, hot, and nasty rock and roll. Grand Funk Railroad, Supertramp, T. Rex, Mott The Hoople, ZZ Top, you get the gist of it... Don't get me wrong, I do dig the occasional bout with Tchiakovsky, Run DMC, Ella, Dizzy and Sam & Dave. It's just, primarily, I've got a rock & roll heart.

I narrowed it down to the HF-2 and the all new and shiny SR325is. From the hours upon hours that I've spent reading about both, albeit information on the new 325 is limited, I think i've made the right choice. The HF-2 seems to be more of an "all around" machine. People who tout them do so regarding properties and characteristics that are detractors in my opinion. On the other hand, the new SR325is is getting solid reviews. Folks who do gripe about them do so because of their bright sound. Sold.

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday! I'll keep yinz posted.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:54:46 PM by SunnyDaze »

bmwr75

Re: New headphones are on the way!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:55:39 PM »
Who makes HF-2?

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
Grado. John made them at the suggestion of Todd The Vinyl Junkie as a special edition for Head-Fi members. They have aluminum outer chambers, and wooden inner chambers. They're "refined" in character. They have a significant amount more bass than other Grados. Some folks call it unnatural. From what I understand, they sound almost like a Sennhieser.

There are some quality concerns as well. Consider this: They sell them for $425. $40 of that goes to Head-Fi. Let's face it, John Grado is in business to do what all businesses do, maximize profit. He is not invested in the success or longevity of Head-Fi. This is evident in the latest run of HF-1's. They say "Head-F1" instead of "Head-Fi" on the outer bowls.

I don't see how Grado could generate a profit by completely creating a new line of product, using higher quality components, targeted at a specific market, and only make 500 of them. My theory is that they are made up from leftover B-stock parts. Wooden lowers from RS-2's that didn't meet spec. Aluminum uppers from 325's or HF-1 that didn't meet spec, etc... If my assumptions are correct, they employ the same drivers as the 225's. Mention any of that on Head-Fi, and you'll be banned. I understand that folks are fanatical about the notion that Grado is the white knight and the other companies are the evil, sucking the life out of the Head-Fi world. The truth is, Grado is an absurdly wise businessman. That's how companies like Grado succeed. They don't make poor business decisions. They make maximal profit when the opportunities arise.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:18:37 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
I have a pair of Grado 150's, very nice.  I'm not a head phone guy but I always wanted to hear a pair of Stax electrostats with a hi end headphone amp.  Just for shits and gigles. ;D
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
150's? You mean 125's? I've never come across 150's, past or present, and I'm a pretty big Grado fan.

If you want to sell them, you know how to get ahold of me! :)

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 10:41:32 PM »
From what I gather, the Stax electros are like an out of body experience! I wouldn't mind owning them some day. Or perhaps a pair of Grado GS1000's.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »
Hello all,

I have a set of vintage stax and koss electrostats, and a pioneer set that needs repair.  Anyone got any trades?

THX,

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
150's? You mean 125's? I've never come across 150's, past or present, and I'm a pretty big Grado fan.

If you want to sell them, you know how to get ahold of me! :)

I stand corrected, I looked at the box and they are the 125's, I am not a headphone guy as I mentioned.  But, headphones can sound awesome.  They also can be very damaging to your hearing, be careful!
Carl