Author Topic: My New Stereo  (Read 8312 times)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
My New Stereo
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »
Hello folks,

Just had to crow a bit about my new system.  My new basement system now includes my holy grail for speakers, full range electrostatics (KLH 9 in operating condition and better than average cosmetics, will post pics later).  I am driving them w/Dynaco ST70 using a GAS Thalia preamp and a couple generic cd players.  I may try some bigger tube watts later, but I am satisfied this week.

I think I am in audio nirvana!

They are too big to move, but if anyone would like to hear these classics, let me know and we can arrange an audition.

Finally, I am thinking of clearing out some of my other speakers, 9 Kappas, 6 Kappas, Polk SDA (2 pairs 2c and srt2.3), DQ 20, powered paradigms, Titans, some center channels from paradigm, and some not so high end speakers as well.

Not so confused anymore!

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Re: My New Stereo
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »
Awesome Dale!

KLH 9's are the cream of the crop of classic speakers. They were just mentioned in the last issue of The Absolute Sound.

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:36:20 PM »
I drool for your KLH Nines - nice gynormous speaks with great sound. I listened to a set once before several years back. 

Let me know what you are looking to get for the SDAs - never owned a pair and need to get that checked off my list.

Pepe

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
Excellent Dale.  :o :o :o :o
  Congrats on getting your holy grail speakers, it is a great feeling. That's the way I feel about getting my holy grail speakers, the Snell type B's

Think how good the KLH speakers would sound with a PAIR of ST-70's

_______
 Mike

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
Congrats Dale.  Good to hear your confusion has passed.   ;D

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 09:31:34 PM »
Oi vey! I'll have to stop in one night and check those 9's out.

Congratulations on your epiphany.

Offline e_just

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »
Wow! I hear the the model 9's are nearly impossible to find. Good to hear you found a pair! I may be interested in hearing these.
eric
Pioneer SA-9100 TX-9100 SA 5200 CT F7272 HPM-100, KLH 5, 6, 17,  Marantz 1060, Technics 1100A, 1200m3d, Thorens TD111, Goldring GR1

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
KLH 9's are the cream of the crop of classic speakers. They were just mentioned in the last issue of The Absolute Sound.

Did you mean Stereophile? They just put out a best of list.

I reviewed the list and noted that I have heard many of the speakers. I have to disagree with the best of label as a good number of those have been easily outclassed over the years and IMO, a good number of them sound like crap, although they may have been innovative at the time.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:43:56 AM »
Very nice score!  I was always curious as to how a pair of KLH 9's sounded as compared to Magnepans.  Glad to hear you're in nirvana!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »
What are you trying get for your polk srt and kappa 9s?
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 05:09:12 PM »

Did you mean Stereophile? They just put out a best of list.

I reviewed the list and noted that I have heard many of the speakers. I have to disagree with the best of label as a good number of those have been easily outclassed over the years and IMO, a good number of them sound like crap, although they may have been innovative at the time.

Nope. The new Sept 2010 issue of "Absolute Sound"
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:22 PM »
Way to go Dale!!! :D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »
Keep the music playing!!!!!! Good going Dale!!!  8) 8) 8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »
Thank you 1 and all for the kind comments.  Love these speakers, like Maggies on steroids!  Clearer thru the complete audio range, and great bass also.  My invitation to audition them stands, so far Mike and Mikey have stopped by.  I live minutes from the Turnpike or the parkway in Monroeville. ;D
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
Thank you Dale, We enjoyed the visit. Those speakers are amazing!!!