Author Topic: Trying to learn a bit about DACs  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Steve

• FNG !!!
Trying to learn a bit about DACs
« on: August 28, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »
Hey, guys.  I'm looking for a way to connect my PC (containing all of the CDs I've ripped to Apple Lossless files via iTunes) to my vintage Carver receiver.  That's what I need for the time being, and will probably use a simple device like a Blue Circle USB Thingee.

In looking around I see that DAC prices vary wildly, but I have noticed a lot of praise for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic, which is two to three times as expensive as a Thingee-type of DAC, but is far less than many other DACs.

What could a device like the DacMagic do for me?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Trying to learn a bit about DACs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
Yea...me 2!!!!!  ??? ??? ???
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
Good question?
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
This thing kicks butt! I have one and it is amazing for the cost.

http://hllyaudio.com/dac/aune-dac/aune-mini-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier-mk2-special.html
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Steve

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:48:34 PM »
This thing kicks butt! I have one and it is amazing for the cost.

http://hllyaudio.com/dac/aune-dac/aune-mini-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier-mk2-special.html

Wow--looks very interesting!  I see that it has RCA inputs, which implies an analog input--does that seem possible?

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Steve,

Yes it does have analog inputs. There is a switch on the front to choose between analog and digital inputs. and another one to choose between USB and SPDIF inputs when in the digital mode. I sell electronic components for a living and can verify that they are using top notch parts. The opamps are socketed so you can switch to whatever floats your boat.

The only upgrade I would recommend is a better external power supply.

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »
Hey Ron, Thanks for posting that link.. They have some cool stuff on there. I think I may try some out.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »
I would not count out audiophileproducts.com.
They offer gear from firestone audio that is no slouch.

I recently ordered the fubar iv plus and have been very satisfied.
Rgpit approved of it and 6 moons has given favorable marks on items from them too!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:02:26 PM by Master Blaster »
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »
I would not count out audiophileproducts.com.
They offer gear from firestone audio that is no slouch.

I recently ordered the fubar iv plus and have been very satisfied.
Rgpit approved of it and 6 moons has given favorable marks on items from them too!

The place I listen to music most in on the deck.  I had a FUBAR out here for a long time.  You can upgrade it a lot by ordering the better Op Amps which plug right in, and getting the power supply.  The FuBar is a good product.  I upgraded to a BenchMark/pre out here, and moved the FuBar inside to my bedroom computer where I watch movies.  Again - the FuBar is a good product.  Do not get a DAC that does not use USB no matter what you read.

I have been playing with computer audio for a long time and have a lot to say on it if you are interested.  Here are some of my thoughts on it:
http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap/2010/08/computer-audio-for-everyone.html  email me, I learn by trail and error and could save you time and money.

With the Bechmark Pre - I am able to run the computer music through it and straight to the Carver Amp.  It does cost more, but you have a great DAC/preamp in one box.

Buy a used Fubar off ebay, and upgrade as you can.
Here is a post on my system with the Benchmark :  (All comment you post there are welcome)

http://yardcrap.typepad.com/yardcrap/2010/09/no-one-can-do-good-audio-on-a-deck.html