Author Topic: HD radio?  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
HD radio?
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »
Has anyone checked out the HD radio stations here in Pittsburgh? I can get a Sangean HDT-1 for $80 shipped, but I'm not sure if the amount of stations or quality of reception here will make the purchase worth it. Any help is appreciated!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: HD radio?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
QED and DUQ both have multiple HD stations.  I haven't checked out the full dial yet.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »
get it. There is a boat load of HD radio in the burgh.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline fhawk618

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
HD radio--blew it off for the longest time as a "gimmick" to get me to buy new toys--and I don't really listen to radio much. Upgraded my Zune a while back and its got an HD tuner--there's a lot of stuff out there in this area. If you actually listen to the radio much, it is what it's promoted to be as an alternative traditional broadcast radio.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline OconeeOrange

• Double Secret Probation!
  • South Carolina RedNeck
    • YardCrap
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
Has anyone checked out the HD radio stations here in Pittsburgh? I can get a Sangean HDT-1 for $80 shipped, but I'm not sure if the amount of stations or quality of reception here will make the purchase worth it. Any help is appreciated!

Live back in the woods - not much here except satellite signals.  Lots of radio over the computer.

From what I have read the Sony XDR-F1HD is hard to beat at any price, and you can get it on ebay around $75.

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »
fwiw, the Sony got a good review in 'Stereopile'.
And Yes, there are more than a few HD stations in the 'burgh'.

BTW, the 'HD' in HD Radio does NOT stand for High Definition.
It is 'Hybrid Digital'.

I will put my old Magnum Dynalab FT-11 analog receiver against any HD radio any time, any place, when it come to sound quality.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 08:47:50 PM by wkhanna »
....just an "ON" switch, Please!