Author Topic: UPDATE to Will my Carver MXR 130 handle Magnepan speakers?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Steve

• FNG !!!
UPDATE to Will my Carver MXR 130 handle Magnepan speakers?
« on: September 15, 2010, 04:26:02 PM »
Well, I got a pair of Maggies, but had to "settle" for some MMGs as my listening room is just too small for anything else.  As predicted by some here, my MXR 130 is just not a good match for the Maggies.  When you crank up a new pair of speakers, you hope to be able to get to levels that make you think about your tolerance levels, but with this combo I never got close.  There's no doubt that a more powerful amp is in my near future and at first (at least) I intend to take some suggestions here to use the Carver as a pre-amp.

That said, it's STILL been a nice experience; I hear something new with every CD I play.  For now it's on to repainting and flooring the room and getting a cabinet maker to build a desk, credenza and some file cabinets for me.  After that I plan on mounting the MMGs in the most opportune place.

I'm having a blast, but I know the best is yet to come.  The post that stuck with me the most was from OldiesButGoodies who stated that he experienced a real improvement each time he upgraded his amp: "the more watts you give them the better they sound at reasonable volumes." 

I can see where the urge to upgrade may push me to work for MG12s or a 1.6 or 1.7, so I'll keep that in mind when I buy an amp.  Such an upgrade could push me into the living room, though....

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: UPDATE to Will my Carver MXR 130 handle Magnepan speakers?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
"the more watts you give them the better they sound at reasonable volumes." 
...I have found this to basically be true also...all other things considered.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: UPDATE to Will my Carver MXR 130 handle Magnepan speakers?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:52:41 PM »
Yup, with maggies it's all about the watts no matter what model you have.