Author Topic: Are you afraid of a speck?  (Read 4343 times)

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Are you afraid of a speck?
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »

I stumbled upon Mark Shea's blog this week.
He was challenging comments that were being made on another blog where they were reflecting on 9/11 and islam in America.

Here's an excerpt from one of the comments on the blog:  Whats wrong with the world

We need a new Crusade.

I don't know about that. We just need our country to be an Islam-free zone. The presence of Mohammedans and the threat of Muslim violence is paralyzing. There is simply no alternative. May I suggest a gentle five point plan?

1. Halt Muslim immigration.
2. Revoke the visas of Muslim students.
3. Offer Muslim families $100K to return to the Muslim country of their choice.
4. Halt the building of mosques.
5. Halt the printing and distribution of the Koran.

Yes, I know, first amendment and all that. But the the first amendment is dead, and Islam killed it. There is no "freedom of speech" or "freedom of religion" with the threat of Muslim violence hanging over your head. Once this "five point plan" does its work you can have your first amendment back.

Posted by Jeff Culbreath September 11, 2010 9:20 PM

And here's a portion of Mark's response
Am I the only person who thinks that this is, well, barking mad? Does anybody outside the right wing nuthouse really think kicking 18 million people out of America for no other reason than "they're Muslim" is a great idea, the core of Truly Truly Americanism *and* of Truly True Catholic charity.

The Right is going insane. A hundred years ago, when Chesterton was asked "What's Wrong with the World?" his answer was succinct: "I am." Now the answer is from more and more of the Right is, "They are!"

We've been hearing for weeks that all people were saying was "Don't build the mosque at Ground Zero." Now it's starting to look more and more like the real message to all Muslim citizens from What's Wrong with the World is "Don't breathe American oxygen. Doesn't matter if you've never done a thing. Doesn't matter if you've been an exemplary citizen. Doesn't matter if you fought for your country. Doesn't matter if you have been a good neighbor. You are Other and you must leave." And who says so? Why Americans who are such truly true *real* Americans that they want to shred the Bill of Rights and then blame it on the people they mean to shove into the Atlantic when they are done shredding it.
<snip>
The grotesque excuse "But the the first amendment is dead, and Islam killed it. There is no 'freedom of speech' or 'freedom of religion' with the threat of Muslim violence hanging over your head" is rubbish. Cancelling the rights of 307 million people because you are, by your own admission, afraid is neither patriotism, nor courage, nor Christian fortitude. It is cowardice. And it is extra-special cowardice when you are ready to cancel your most precious national heritage because you are afraid of a speck.

There are 2 distinct views here. I gotta say, I see Mark's point. What do you guys think?
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
Re: Are you afraid of a speck?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 03:42:46 AM »

1. Halt Muslim immigration.
2. Revoke the visas of Muslim students.
3. Offer Muslim families $100K to return to the Muslim country of their choice.
4. Halt the building of mosques.
5. Halt the printing and distribution of the Koran.

Best idea I've seen in a long time.
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

SunnyDaze

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:02 AM »
I think America has bigger fish to fry.

One of those fish is red and rhymes with China. Chinese people view the United States as a superpower in decline. Why? Because we mortgaged our asses off to the commies.

Right now, they won't adjust their currency for inflation. It's crushing the American market. Why can't we do anything about it? Because Ronald Reagan is dead.

Our welfare system is screwed from top to bottom. My parents in Fayette County have literally a dozen neighbors who collect welfare and disability, yet still manage to afford alcohol, cigarettes, tobacco, firearms, ammunition, and work under the table jobs. It's disturbing and highly frustrating to see my tax dollars supporting these scoundrels.

We need to get the hell off of oil, ASAP. The technology exists.

As far as this thread is concerned, if Washington can take away their religion, they can take away yours as well. If they can take away your religion, you can bet on what's next to go. Our guns.

Ideally, our government would not be large enough to be affiliated with this issue. This is a social matter, not a political one.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:12:50 AM by SunnyDaze »

Offline FrankieD

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
I think America has bigger fish to fry.

One of those fish is red and rhymes with China. Chinese people view the United States as a superpower in decline. Why? Because we mortgaged our asses off to the commies.

Right now, they won't adjust their currency for inflation. It's crushing the American market. Why can't we do anything about it? Because Ronald Reagan is dead.

Our welfare system is screwed from top to bottom. My parents in Fayette County have literally a dozen neighbors who collect welfare and disability, yet still manage to afford alcohol, cigarettes, tobacco, firearms, ammunition, and work under the table jobs. It's disturbing and highly frustrating to see my tax dollars supporting these scoundrels.

We need to get the hell off of oil, ASAP. The technology exists.

As far as this thread is concerned, if Washington can take away their religion, they can take away yours as well. If they can take away your religion, you can bet on what's next to go. Our guns.

Ideally, our government would not be large enough to be affiliated with this issue. This is a social matter, not a political one.

Well said

W

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:30:32 AM »
You've been driving that Prius again haven't you, Frankie!?!
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:36:26 PM »
Nuke them all.   China and the middle east.   Problem solved! ;D ;D ;D

Kill em all, and let God sort them out.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

SunnyDaze

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »
Nuke them all.   China and the middle east.   Problem solved! ;D ;D ;D

Fallout from that caliber of detonation would leave our planet uninhabitable for quite a while.

At least, for us.

Offline FrankieD

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »
You've been driving that Prius again haven't you, Frankie!?!

No Jesse I wasn't able to get a Prius this time. They gave me something call a Chevy HHR.

I don't know how much actual involvement Obama has in GM but if he had anything to do with this car...he's gone in 2012!

Make fun of the Prius but I missed it everytime I got into this HHR (spelled "piece of shit").

I still had a great time at the fest in spite of this POS car and the additional disappointment that you weren't there.

Eddie had to share his cabin with some old basld guy !

Oh well, maybe next year I'll get a Prius & you'll show up !