Author Topic: My new polks  (Read 9151 times)

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
My new polks
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
I just got a new pair of Polks. The Polks were new in the box. Well the one was the other box the guy needed to ship something in it. They where bought in the 90's at Stereoland. They are Polk Monitor 7's series 2. These speakers are fantastic and are mint. They are 8 ohms and require 20 to 150 watts/ channel. I also think that they got the SL2500 tweeters and are fantastic tweeters. The bass is good for the size. The woofers are great and the passive radiator design works great on these. These are one of the Polks that sound like they are not even there. The have great imaging and are fantastic. Here are some pictures. Please tell me what you think.
Little Mikey
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:00:33 PM by Little Mikey »
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

SunnyDaze

Re: My new polks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:49:30 PM »
I think you just took a few steps up the ladder! What a score!

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »

Thanks SunnyDaze. I really like these speakers and the Philips is really amazing with these. Also, did you get your Polks fixed yet?
Little Mikey
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »
Excellent Mikey!  I too have a pair of Monitor 7's.  These are some of the best speakers that you can buy for very lttle money.  Congrats!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:51:03 PM »

Thanks SunnyDaze. I really like these speakers and the Philips is really amazing with these. Also, did you get your Polks fixed yet?
Little Mikey

Nah. I'm still browsing eBay almost daily for the MW8002 drivers.

That Phillips is probably amazing with most anything!

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:10:07 AM »
Please tell me what you think.

I think you need to learn to take better pics. ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and the speakers are very, very good. Thanks for buying them off of me. I think Tom has a pair of these for sale, someone should jump on them.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 06:00:50 AM »
Nice acquisition Mikey!!!   8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 11:21:03 AM by Kingman »
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »
Thanks everybody.
Please tell me what you think.

I think you need to learn to take better pics. ;D ;D ;D

Oh, and the speakers are very, very good. Thanks for buying them off of me. I think Tom has a pair of these for sale, someone should jump on them.
Yeah I should get a better camera or maybe some better skills. Also, someone should definitely buy those polk's speakers from Tommy.

Excellent Mikey!  I too have a pair of Monitor 7's.  These are some of the best speakers that you can buy for very little money.  Congrats!
Yeah they are great and for the money you can get them at they are very very hard to beat.

Little Mikey

Nah. I'm still browsing eBay almost daily for the MW8002 drivers.

That Phillips is probably amazing with most anything!
Yeah that Philips is great with almost everything but so far the Philips seems to like these the best. Also, I will keeping looking for the driver in those Polk RT400s and the Realistic Nova 8's. If I find any I will email you the link.
Little Mikey
youtube-

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:13:19 AM »
Very nice score Mikey!
Got Carver?

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:14:15 AM »
youtube-

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
The pic is a tad underexposed, but if they are the same Tom has those are very nice.

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:39 PM »
The pic is a tad underexposed, but if they are the same Tom has those are very nice.
Thanks OldiesButGoodies. I am trying to take good pictures but I am using a new camera and am not 100% aware of the features and how to take advantage of them. Also, Tommy has the 5's which is the very little brother to my 7's. Also, I really like these speakers and would recommend that someone try to get those 5's because this series is hard to beat for the price.
Little Mikey
youtube-

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »
I own the 'other' 5s - the ones without the passive radiator.  Following the advice of f1nut I made some mods, including replacing the tweeters w the newer improved version.  I like them enough (after the mods, though i still like the original sl-2000s in some ways) to have kept them for longer than normal. I find them revealing of the electronics capabilities - I.e.  When I connect crap to them, they sound like crap.  My next speaker move may invove moving the Proacs I have at Tom's to my listening room.  I want to sell them because they are a bit too large for my room.

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 09:16:43 AM »
Sweet pickup Mikey!  Now go put some nice capacitors and resistors in those things and they'll REALLY shine!!!

I love the Monitor series, and the 7s are about as good as it gets.  Congrats!
~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »
Sweet pickup Mikey!  Now go put some nice capacitors and resistors in those things and they'll REALLY shine!!!

I love the Monitor series, and the 7s are about as good as it gets.  Congrats!

Thanks Matt, I am going to recap them and upgrade them at some point but can not do it now because we are in the process of trying to move.
Little Mikey
youtube-