Author Topic: Yammy setup  (Read 8748 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Yammy setup
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:18:26 PM »
Tom: 

Just spent most of the afternoon setting up the Yamaha DSP-3090 in my listening room.   I am using the Mirage 890is as mains, the JBL Controls as front effect and center, and two NHT Super zeros as rears. No fancy cables - just hardware store zip cord for speakers. The sub is the very capable adaptable AES -308.  As source I have the Phillips 877 table and the Grado Black (very happy with that table - for the price a lot of features - built-in stylus pressure gauge! - and dead quiet - mates well with Grado - love this table) - {right now listening to Tito Puente - Bailables},  the Pioneer RT-707 (still have not gotten around to changing the counter belt on that,  waiting for you to finish the CTF-1250 to replace the reel-to-reel with that),  and the PS Audio Lambda with Ultralink DAC (have not tried to use the Yammy's DACs - that could help the digital-analog-digital-analog jump distortion, by removing the Ultralink,  but it sounds good as is so why mess with success).  The Yammy tuner tuner TX-480 is decent but not remotely comparable to the older analog tuners i have been using recently.

Altogether an interesting setup.   The Yamaha DSP craziness is kind of fun,  though I seem to stay in the jazz "Cellar Club" most of the time.  Very nice setup,  digital warts and all.  Good for a few months of listening before the change bug strikes again.  I am now tempted to get a Yamaha for the theater - I have a Denon 5803 there - in case anyone wants to trade.  The Denon is ridiculously high powered at 170 watts per channel x 7 channels of clean power, and THX-Ultra2 certified, in case someone wants to trade. 

The Sansui awaits hook up to the Polk Monitor 5s once I have a place for it in the house.  I am having a tough time finding a manual for the QS-800 quad synthesizer on the  web (for free anyway). 

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Yammy setup
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
Pretty cool. I just realized the sub and mains came from me. That sub always impressed me!
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
The remote controlled level and x-over is very cool in that sub.  Very well built too - solid.

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 01:12:29 PM »
Nice setup OldiesButGoodies.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »
Thanks Mikey!

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Post some pics!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Yammy setup - Pics Pt 1
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »
Ok - here are some pics....

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Yammy setup - Pics Pt 2
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »
More pics

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
Very nice OBG ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Reverend

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »
Very cool setup.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
Congrats!

You have some really nice equipment in your rig.  It must sound fabulous!
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
Thanks all.   I will of course tear the whole thing up in a month and conjure a new combination, but only after listening to all the LPs an half the CDs once.  I am bi-amping the Mirages this weekend using a Rockford Fosgate 120w x 4 amp - will report on that once done.   Just for fun.  And using zip cord,  cuz I still have to hear the difference.    :P

Also on tap is testing the PS Audio Lambda going straight to the Yammy DAC via coax, bypassing the Ultralink.  Will report on that too.  

Pepe

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »
Very nice system Pepe.

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Yammy setup - passive biamping
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
Recent results and observations on biamping:
  • The Fogate Audionics amp is impressive.  very conservatively rated at 75/channel.
  • I cannot confirm a definitive advantage of passively biamping the Mirage 890is. There is a slight change is an improvement in sound dynamics when biamped.  Subjectively,  it feels as if the bass response improves when the speakers are not biamped.  Bass feels 'dirtier' biamped.

So that is my take based on a very limited experiment, using a Yamaha DSP-3090 as pre, a Fosgate mullti-channel amp, and a pair of Mirages that may or may not take well to biamping.

:)

Pepe
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:35:21 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Biamplification Question
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »
According to this,  what I just did is not really biamplification (not sure what it would be called):

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#common-question

To recap - I removed the straps separating the woofer and tweeter sections from my Mirage 890is,  ran separate cables back to four power amps,  two handling the left, two the right channel.  This article indicates that an active x-over is a prerequisite for real biamping.  Is this what another geek with the ALIIIs and the Rane x-overs in a separate post?  What are supposed then to be the benefits, if any, of what I tried?

Pepe