Author Topic: The truth about speaker wire  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: The truth about speaker wire
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »
Yes...  Interesting article...
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »
I was curious what he thought about litz wiring in turntables, so I asked. I didn't get as elaborate of a response as I would have liked, but here you go...

I just read "Speaker wire - A History" and enjoyed it very much. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on Litz wire. I am having my old Technics SL-1200 turntable rewired with it, and I am wondering if you think it's a worth it. I'm having the headshell clamp bypassed, and running the litz straight from the cartridge to rca jacks, so I pretty sure I will hear a difference from losing a couple contact points, but do you think the litz will make a difference?
Thanks,
Ed

Ed:

I don't think that will make any difference either. However, if a headshell plug is used it's a good idea to spray the contacts with contact cleaner.

Roger
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:39:41 PM »
It's an argument that no one will ever win.  I can tell a huge difference between my stock rega arm and after I rewired with litz wire and silver platted connectors.  I agree with Roger that it is ridiculous to spend thousands of dollars on wire but there is a difference between using good wire/connectors vs. lamp cord.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »
I would love to do a blind taste test. Either way, spending money on improving cables will always make less of a difference than spending the same money on improving room acoustics. But, I know for a fact that most people who consider themselves audiophiles will be more likely to spend their money on cables because they have been brainwashed to think that it makes an astronomical improvement to the sound. How many cable advertisements do you see verses acoustic foam.
I know I took Roger's point down a different path. I just thought it was a good example.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:10:07 PM »
I think that if expensive cables make your system sound better to you by all means use them.  My MIT speaker cables sound good. Is it the wire? Is it the articulation box? I dunno. I also have other systems wired with good stranded speaker wire. I like them too. Whatever floats your boat... ;)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

bmwr75

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
I agree with room improvements Ed being a good place to spend your money.  The most expensive system in the world will sound crappy in a bad room.  I've heard inexpensive systems sound great in a acoustically good room.  If your room doesn't allow for much acoustics modding, at least try to get your speakers set up by placing them for optimum imaging and soundstage.  And, use furniture to break up first wall reflections and carpet to fix floor bounce.

bmwr75

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »
I heard some amazing sounding systems at AKFest 2012 a few weeks ago.  They were all set up in hotel rooms with most of the furniture removed.  The great sounding systems had the speakers well away from the rear wall and a decent distance away from the side walls.  One set I heard, don't remember the maker, made you believe the band was all behind the speakers.  If you closed your eyes, you could not have any been able to discern where the speakers were placed in the room.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »
Scott,
I remember that being one of Legacy's claims to fame. They said something about their speakers being able to sound great even in the worst rooms.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
<--- Team Roger

Offline Zoot Horn

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 07:07:52 PM »
I think that if expensive cables make your system sound better to you by all means use them.  My MIT speaker cables sound good. Is it the wire? Is it the articulation box? I dunno. I also have other systems wired with good stranded speaker wire. I like them too. Whatever floats your boat... ;)

he,he,, try rolling tubes  ;D

SunnyDaze

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
I feel that there's a certain threshold involved with our perception of fidelity, kind of like your brains own Nyquist limit.

Any conductor that is sufficient to surpass that threshold will generally sound the "same" as any other sufficient conductor.

bmwr75

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
You got a mathematical proof for that theory A-A??   :-*

SunnyDaze

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 07:37:54 PM »
Ha. I read a job ad for Dolby Labs a while back, was for an "Advanced Acoustic Theory Researcher".  They required a PhD in math, physics, or the like, an absolute love for sound, aesthetic principles, music, psychology, electronics, and a research background.

The job was described as researching why we hear what we hear, what makes it sound "good", how that can be duplicated, formulated, and enhanced.

If that's not my absolute dream job, I don't know what is.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
#1 mod is not something you do to the stereo. It's a q-tip and some peroxide.