Author Topic: new headphone amp  (Read 1439 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
new headphone amp
« on: May 14, 2014, 06:09:37 PM »
I never cared much for headphones and rarely used them, but that has changed.  Unfortunately I am unable to leave the house much, but the bonus is I get to listen to music pretty much all day.  Once my wife took early retirement at the beginning of the year to be home with me I was forced to use headphones.  Bottom line is I'm running the headphones off zone 2 of my Carver C-5 preamp.  Pretty convenient arrangement but sound wasn't stellar with headphones.  Not enough volume and pretty dead sounding.  For shits and giggles I bought a cheap Pyle PHA40 stereo headphone amp.  It helped quite a bit but the bottom end was missing and the music had no body to it.  Yesterday my family (lead by BJ of course) surprised me with a new headphone amp for my 60th birthday which is tomorrow.  BJ researched it and bought me a Schiit Valhalla tube headphone amp.  WOW.  My headphones really come alive now.  Now I'm actually enjoying using headphones.  Plus the ones I am using most of the time are closed back so I don't hear the TV or my wife!  I just hate when BJ puts post-it notes on my audio gear claiming them for himself when I croak. 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: new headphone amp
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »
Tell him he can't have my Mini Advents.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »
Happy birthday PBJ!! 

I bet you a beer I will be posting a similar message again in a year (unless I croak, all bets are off if so :().

Enjoy that Schit!

Pepe

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
Happy Birthday PBJ.  I am reaching the same milestone in just a few months.  I doubt I'll get a headphone amp.  None of my family can spell HiFi.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »
Oh, yeah, happy birthday.   I totally missed that in the middle of the story. :-[