Audio Discussion > DIY

Ferrofluid leak repair.

(1/2) > >>

SunnyDaze:
As gravity and electromagnetism don't particularly jive, metallic objects that are caught in a magnetic field tend to feel the effects of gravity, too. Over time, the tweeters in the Paradigm 9seMk3's apparently leak. In the case of the ones I purchased used, it seemed to be a gradual thing. The bottom section of one tweeter was visibly soaked in ferrofluid.

I called Paradigm because I'd rather replace than repair. They said "They're just shot. How old are they? Just buy new speakers." They also claimed to have replacement diaphragms that they won't sell. Bummer. I understand their point of view. It was a mid-range product two decades ago. Why keep anything around for them now? Oh well.

I took the unit out of the cabinet and carefully removed the magnet and diaphragm assemblies from the front housing. I then lifted the diaphragm free to reveal that it a small amount of ferrofluid was leaking out of the unit, and had accumulated between the diaphragm and the magnet assembly. I then carefully used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the fluid off of the magnet.

Now what to do about the diaphragm? I took the same approach, only with minimal pressure and extreme caution. I put a small amount of alcohol on a q tip and began to rub the silk dome with alcohol. I did this front and back probably a total of a dozen times. Then i repeated the process with water. I blotted it dry very slowly and carefully with q tips. I was also careful to remove minimal ferrofluid from the coil portion of the diaphragm.

Assembly is the opposite of disassembly.

I reinstalled the tweeter, and did an A/B mono comparison using only the high frequency channel. I couldn't tell a difference beforehand in the two, and I still can't. Now the tweeter diaphragm is sans ferrofluid contamination. Mission accomplished.

F1nut:

--- Quote --- I called Paradigm because I'd rather replace than repair. They said "They're just shot. How old are they? Just buy new speakers." They also claimed to have replacement diaphragms that they won't sell. Bummer. I understand their point of view. It was a mid-range product two decades ago. Why keep anything around for them now? Oh well.

--- End quote ---

That's a shitty attitude.

Polk Audio still sells tweeters and drivers for their 20+ year old speakers. In fact, they redesigned the replacement tweeters making them better than the originals.

bmwr75:
We don't need no stinkin' ferrofluid!!

Reverend:
My mids have ferrofluid.  I've seen posts on other forums like Audio Karma with suggestions on replacing or addressing a leak.  Looking on epay, I see several paradigm replacement tweeters, maybe you can find one there.

OCCD:
Look for a mod using better tweeters. keep the stock ones around if you dish them. Screw the ferrofluid. I have always had excellent customer service from Polk and Definitive Technology. That kind of response leans me away from Para Digm products.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version